Sunday, May 7, 2017

Laura’s Review of Defy (Sinners of Saint, 0.5) by L.J. Shen


Synopsis
Defy is a smutty, insta-love, insta-lust short novella. Defy is a prequel to Vicious (Sinners of Saint #1). It is recommended, but unnecessary, to read Defy before reading Vicious.

First included in Hot for Teacher Anthology: 19 Stories Filled with Lust and Love.

My name is Melody Greene, and I have a confession to make.
I slept with my student, a senior in high school.
Multiple times.
I had multiple orgasms.
In multiple positions.
I slept with my student and I enjoyed it.
I slept with my student and I’d do it all over again if I could turn back time.
My name is Melody Greene, and I got kicked out of my position as a teacher and did my walk of shame a la Cersei Lannister from the principal’s office, minutes after said principal threatened to call the cops on me.
My name is Melody Greene, and I did something bad because it made me feel good.
Here is why it was totally worth it.


What I Loved
        At first I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this story; I’m not a fan of insta-love and then to put that into a novella I didn’t want it to be all gushy hearts and flowers.  But the moment I began reading I knew this story wasn’t rainbows and love and people confessing their feelings for one another the minute they lay eyes on each other. 

You meet Melody Greene, a teacher who is hated by her boss, has no control over her class at All Saints High where four students not only rule the school but the entire town and needs to find a new place to live.  Needless to say, her life is shambles so falling for a student isn’t an ideal situation at the moment.  In walks Jamie Followhill, whose mother is the Principal, a high school football star, part of the HotHoles, and a known sex god.  Girls fall at his feet but he only has eyes for one lady and that Ms. Greene!

Not So Much
        I don’t have any actual complaints about the book.  I just wonder why this was made into a novella because I felt like there was enough story to make this full-length novel along with the rest of the men in the series.  I did feel like at the end when it skips ahead I had a lot of questions I didn’t get answered but felt like would’ve been if this was made to be longer.


To Sum It All Up!
        Overall, I really loved this novella.  It totally wasn’t what I was expecting, and I’m so happy when a story can still surprise me.  For it being such a short story it packed a whole lot of action and I loved every minute of it!

The chemistry between Jaime and Melody is instantaneous and I loved how straight forward and aggressive he was even though Jaime was the student.  His alpha male exterior made him so attractive and I appreciated how he laid it all out there for Melody. 

        Also, I really liked how the prequel introduced the characters for the rest of the series. You got a real feel for each of the HotHoles and became invested in them as well. This was such an amazing introduction, and the first book I read by L.J. Shen, I now can say I am officially a fan. 

Purchase Today

No comments:

Post a Comment