Friday, December 26, 2014

Laura’s Review of Pointe of Passion (Dancer’s Desire, #1) by Annalie Walker

 


Synopsis
Have you ever thought you had your life all figured out, only to wake up one day and realize that you have to start all over?

DEVASTATED by a career-ending injury, professional ballerina Mia Parker decides to move back to her hometown of West Trenton to open a dance studio and begin again.

DETERMINED to do what is best for his young daughter, Jaxson Sinclair finds himself adrift as a single Dad after his unstable marriage suddenly ends in tragedy.

DESTINED to find each other, there's no denying the attraction between them, but can he get past the self-blame of the accident? He is drawn to Mia and is astonished at how she can bring his daughter Sophie out of her shell like no other.

Will Mia be the push he needs to start living again? Although the obstacles of starting over are endless, they discover comfort in each other's arms. Can Jax bring this dancer to the Pointe of Passion where she never wants to go back?

Sometimes starting over can make all of your dreams and desires come true.

What I Loved
          I really loved the characters in this book, not only the main characters but the supporting ones as well which really adds to the overall plot of a book for me.  Mia the protagonist, is pretty awesome and I love that she so willingly took up the role as mother to the cutest little girl in the world.  I also love the chemistry between her and Jaxson throughout the entire story because of course that lead to some pretty smoking sex scenes! I love Jaxson Sinclair as well, the real question should be what isn’t there to love about Jaxson, because I can’t think of a single thing.  These are both very strong willed characters that have been handed some pretty crappy circumstances in their lives and have been able to turn that around into something positive and meaningful. 

          The prologue sucks you into this story immediately and my heart wouldn’t let go till the very end of the story and I absolutely loved that.  Sophie is probably the cutest character in the entire book and I loved everything about that child.  There’s definitely a lot of ups and downs throughout the book which I loved because I love drama. Also, it was so much fun watching Jaxson and Mia fall in love with each other and establish a life together as a couple and see that all unfold. 



Not So Much
        
            I really loved the plot of this book, it was unique in a lot of ways yet stuck to what we expect in a romance which I liked a lot.  Saying that, this story didn’t feel natural to me at all because I felt like the story was talked at me rather than me being a silent observer in the story.  The dialogue between the characters didn’t feel organic at all, when people talk they usually use lots of contractions but every time these characters talked there wasn’t any of that which made it feel robotic to me rather than human. 

Also there were some inconsistencies throughout some sequences that I picked up on, and a lot of lack of detail. I have no idea what the dance studio looks like after the construction, there is no description of what color the walls are, what the rooms look like where the dance studio is in town or anything.  The same can be said for the house that Mia, Olivia, and Jade are staying in there is literally not one description of this place I had no idea where they were even living for a good half of the book.   All those minute details were just completely left out and it made it difficult for me to get emotionally invested in the story when all these missing things created holes in the plot. 

To Sum It All Up!
This was such a great story and with some pretty wonderful characters.  I loved the uniqueness of the story and the character development as the story went on.  You don’t just fall for Mia and Jaxson, you fall for Olivia, Jade and Aiden as well.  There is a happily ever after type ending to this one, but at the same time some questions about other characters have not been answered which makes me very excited to read the next book in this series.  I do feel that this story could have been about 50 pages less because there were times when I felt like certain plots were repeated just one time too many.  Jaxon and Mia kept on jumping to conclusions and by the third time this happened I was like enough already! There were definite holes in the plot at times because things felt like they were just dropped into the story with no follow up or follow through.  I wish there were more details and the story felt more organic to me but overall great story with some awesome characters and hot sex scenes! 

13 comments: