Sunday, March 26, 2017

Laura’s Review of Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1) by Raine Miller


Synopsis
Billionaire Caleb Blackstone lives in the glamorous world of wealth and success, with every material luxury. But the moment he sees Brooke Casterley, none of that matters. Caleb is filled with a raw, undeniable need that he can’t ignore…for a girl who is so completely different from everything and everyone he’s ever known.

Only Brooke isn’t looking for love. She knows all too well just how much damage the wrong guy can do. Still, what sane, broke British girl can resist the charms of an incredibly sexy, chivalrous billionaire? What starts as flirtation quickly turns into all-consuming passion. Nothing could have prepared her for the searing heat of Caleb’s touch—or just how much she craves him.

Their whirlwind romance is the stuff of high-society fantasy—but for every moment of pleasure, there is a cost. Past mistakes and tragedy shadow them both…and falling for him might be the kind of trouble she can’t afford. 

What I Loved
I was so excited to dive back into the Blackstone family and discover what other hot sexy alphas this family had to offer.  Ethan Blackstone captured my heart in the Blackstone Affair books so anyone that was related to that man was guaranteed to be just as hot and passionate as he was.  The story begins with Caleb breaking up with his latest girlfriend, realizing how unhappy he is with his life needing something more.   He is a man who puts business first and his personal life second but the minute he lays eyes on Brooke Casterley everything changes. 

Caleb comes from a long line of Blackstones and since his father had passed away he had taken over the company becoming a powerful businessman while his family fell apart.  Brooke meanwhile had moved back to Blackstone island after living in Los Angeles, to help her Nan and pick up the pieces of her life.  I instantly liked both characters, Brooke was trying to make her new life work even though she struggled money wise. While Caleb was trying to run an empire, and figure out what it was he wanted out of life.  The chemistry between them was instantaneous, even if their first encounter was a little bumpy it was clear they were both strongly attracted to one another.  I loved watching them discover each other and their sex scenes were nothing less that sizzling!  It was amazing watching them fall in love and find happiness with one another.



Not So Much
        As much as I really liked the premise of this book and how the plot was laid out, the writing at times was big turn off for me.  I get that Caleb is American and a little younger than Ethan in many respects but in no way, should a billionaire CEO who has grown up this way should say “bestie” or “outie.” Teenage girls say those things not grown men who are supposed to ooze power and prestige, there was no mystery to this man which made him less appealing to me.  Right away he was obsessed with Brooke and all their love and pleasantries from the start was just too much too fast.  At times the story felt cheesy and forced rather than something natural and seductive.  It was too much lovey dovey for me to truly be emotionally invested.

To Sum It All Up!
        Overall I thought the plot was well laid out and it was a great way to being a series.  I liked that we got to meet each of the other Blackstones and begin to see what comes next for them.  I loved how the book began and how Caleb and Brook met each other.  After that though, the story kind of fell apart for me.  The writing just wasn’t as good as it was in the Blackstone Affair books, things were just too all-consuming for both characters too early on and they kept on pledging their hearts to each other repeatedly.  Caleb is supposed to have this powerful air about him but he just came off as desperate at times and there wasn’t a lot depth to him.  I felt like there was a lot of depth to the story as well, everything fit together too easily with very little explanation.

There were some parts of the story I didn’t see coming which I really did enjoy and I loved all the drama that surrounded them.  It was hot seeing how much Caleb and Brooke couldn’t get enough of each other.  I think that because of how cheesy their relationship became at certain points it made it hard for me to become fully invested in this story.  But that’s just me, give me a dark edgy man that puts up tons of walls any day of the week and I will be completely addicted.  Caleb Blackstone was sexy and charming but he just didn’t do it for me in the end. 
Purchase Today


No comments:

Post a Comment