Friday, November 11, 2016

Laura’s Review of Tell Me Something (Something, #1) By Aubrey Bondurant

Synopsis
The sexual tension is palpable; the erotic path they’re on is inevitable.

Haylee Holloway has experienced more grief than a twenty-two-year-old should have to endure. When she moves to LA for a fresh start and takes a job as an assistant for an advertising company the last thing she expects is to have to step in last minute during a photo shoot as the model. Her bikini line and weight are suddenly open topics of discussion, and a client’s million-dollar campaign is hanging in the balance. To cap it off, the multi-millionaire, gorgeous owner of the company shows up and takes charge.

Josh Singer, the owner of Gamble Advertising is private, intense, and hard to read. His voice is sexy, his eyes are smoldering and when he learns of Haylee’s goal to save money for law school, he makes her an offer she can’t refuse: To move to New York City and work for him directly as his assistant. Haylee’s dilemma: how does she travel the world with a hot boss whose voice alone conjures up an
erotic fantasy and not completely make a fool of herself? Frustrated with Josh’s mixed signals, Haylee finally puts it all on the line. Blurring both their processional and personal lives canthey keep things temporary as planned or will they both realize some things weren’t meant to end? 

Full Length Standalone book with no cliffhanger. 
First book of the “Something Series” This book is for mature audiences only.

What I Loved
        I loved that the story jumped right in while at the same time building a solid plot foundation.  From the very beginning it’s easy to relate to Haylee and become emotionally attached to her character.  She’s just a normal everyday girl with a crappy boss that suddenly gets caught up in a whirlwind and her life changes literally overnight.  My love for her never wavered from beginning to end and there were times when I even admired her strength and courage.  When her heart broke into a million pieces mine did as well and it made the experience of reading this book so enthralling.

       The minute Josh Singer walked onto the scene as a reader I immediately felt the attraction towards him and the energy he exuded.  He has this power around him that draws people in and it certainly sucked me in and kept me there!  The sexual tension between him and Haylee was palpable and when they finally ripped each other’s clothes off it was nothing short of amazing. Also, I loved how supportive and encouraging he was towards Haylee at times.  Yet when he kept her at arm’s length I wanted more, which proved to me just how sucked into this story I was. 
Not So Much
        I loved this story but I felt like the book skipped way too many important things which created a lot of plot holes.  I get stories skip over time to move the plot along and not slow down the story but this book took that to a whole new level.  Plus, the transitions from one scene to another were bumpy at times and it took a minute for me to catch up on to what was going on.  There was a certain point in the book that it skipped weeks and I felt it could’ve added to Haylee’s character development, yet it was only mentioned in about two sentences.  The scene to scene and skipping over things was just too choppy for me and broke up the plot rather than move it along. 

        Also, I totally understood where Haylee and Josh were coming from, they were both very broken people who had issues with commitment.  It was great watching them try to overcome this with each other but I felt like Haylee’s stubbornness went one step too far.  I absolutely loved her but towards the end her one-sided view became tiring, I wish that change in her character would’ve happened a little bit earlier so we could see more of the growth in her rather than her stubbornness and unwillingness to change.

To Sum It All Up!

     Overall this was a very engaging read that I enjoyed from beginning to end.  Josh has this enigmatic personality that sucks you in and every time Haylee is in his presence you can feel the thrill she feels.  The attraction between both characters was instantaneous and I loved the build of sexual tension between the two of them when they first started working together.  The sex scenes were sizzling and certainly enjoyable to experience. The relationship they built together was heartfelt and I loved them together.  

        The writing was solid with a lot of detail paid towards the background and the characters which I appreciated since I don’t see that in a lot of books.  I also liked the attention paid towards all the fashion labels and designs because it showed how much care the author took into writing this book.  I love fashion but there were certain things I even had to look up which was awesome because I learned some things.  I do wish that the transitions from scene to scene were smoother and the book didn’t skip so much time with very little detail to fill it in.  This is my first Aubrey Bondurant book but I am certainly looking forward to reading many more of her novels.

Purchase Today

No comments:

Post a Comment