Sunday, September 6, 2015

Laura’s Review of Desolation (Jokers Wrath MC, #4) by Bella Jewel



Synopsis
Pippa

The girl you all know as damaged. Quiet. Broken.
She doesn’t fit in. Nothing in her world feels right. She’s trapped in a spiral of darkness that seem to be consuming her day by day, until she sees nothing but an empty, black hole.

Her world is a dark place she can’t escape.
She has people around her who matter. Who love her. But it’s not enough. Not enough to break her out of the bitter despair she lives in.

UNTIL TYKE.

He knows pain. He knows darkness. He’s sweet. He’s kind. But most of all…
He understands her.
Combining their demons doesn’t seem like the best plan. Everyone is against them. He deserves better. She deserves better. They’ll never work. They’re too broken. Too damaged. It’s a destructive combination that will only end in heartbreak.

He’s a biker. She’s a broken angel.

But in their desolation, they find peace.

WITH EACH OTHER.


What I Loved
          Pippa’s story started back in Melancholy (Jokers’ Wrath, #2) and since I’ve already read Flawed Heart and Flawed Loved I was excited to actually get my hands on her side of things.  I’ve had mixed feelings about Pippa for a while especially after reading the House of Obsidian books so I wasn’t sure how I would feel about her going into this one. I definitely think that after finishing this book I do like her a lot more and have warmed up to her in ways I didn’t think I would.  On the other hand I’ve always been a big fan of Tyke’s and was happy to finally watch him fall in love.  He has always been a constant support for Pippa no matter what’s going down in his life and that just made me love him even more.

          Saying Pippa has had a hard life is an understatement and it was heart wrenching when the story would flip to the past and as a reader experience just how hard things were for her.  I definitely had tears in my eyes at certain points because her story just sucked me right in.  It was so great to watch her find her voice again and make a life for herself after everything she’s been through. 



Not So Much
       
          I really enjoyed this story and the first half of the story was exactly what I was looking for.  But then the pace of the story just completely changed and when I wanted more detail or certain aspects dwelled on a little bit more that didn’t happen.  The plot just kind of skirted over important things with the purpose to finish up the series rather then adding more detail.  It was inconsistent with the rest of the book and kind of annoyed me.


          It was great to meet Max, Rainer and Raide once again, but Max was a total asshole at a certain point and I ended up losing a lot of respect for him.  I get he was a different person when Belle wasn’t around but that doesn’t make a person out right cruel to strangers.  Also since I’ve read Flawed Heart and I know these stories kind of overlap each other the details do as well.  But at the end of this book I noticed a huge inconsistency in the overlap. The order of events were different and because I noticed that it took me emotionally out of the story.



To Sum It All Up!
          I was a little anxious jumping in this book because Pippa just hasn’t been my favorite character overall.  Yet, in a lot of ways Pippa has touched my heart and her story is more than a little harrowing.  Also, Tyke is such an amazing and complex character and I loved the sexiness he exuded in every scene.  Together they make one hell of a team and it was wonderful to watch them build something beautiful together.  I do wish the second half of the book slowed down a little and added more detail so we could get more closure to the series.  I knew going into this book that it was the last one in the series so it was bittersweet to finish it.  This was a great series overall and I’m excited to see what Bella Jewel comes out with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment