Sunday, November 3, 2013

Laura’s Review of Fixed On You (Fixed #1) by Laurelin Paige


If you like Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James, This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas, and In Flight by R.K. Lilley then you will love this book!!! 

Basic Summary:  Stalking and restraining orders are a thing of Alayna Wither’s past.  With her MBA newly in hand, she has her future figured out—move up at the nightclub she works at and stay away from any guy who might trigger her obsessive love disorder.  A perfect plan.

                But what Alayna didn’t figure on is Hudson Pierce, the new owner of the nightclub.  He’s smart, rich, and gorgeous –the kind of guy Alayna knows to stay away from it she wants to keep her past tendencies in check.  Except, Hudson’s fixed his sights on her.  He wants her in his bed and makes no secret of it.

                Avoiding him isn’t an option after he offers a business proposition she can’t turn down and she’s drawn further into his universe, unable to resist his gravitational pull.  When she learns Hudson has a dark history of his own, she realizes too late that she’s fallen for the worst man she could possible get involved with.  Or maybe their less than ideal past give them an opportunity to heal each other and finally find the love their lives have been missing.


What I Love About This Book:  I like that the protagonist in this book has an actual issue with her life, she has an overactive mind and because of that if she doesn't keep herself busy she obsesses over things and that’s not an exaggeration.  It’s easy for me to relate to something like that because I hate being bored too, and do tons of stuff to keep myself busy.  Also I think any girl out there who has ever liked a boy has done something stupid and crazy because of like, drive by their house.  We've all done something like that so it’s easy to relate to the fixation issues that Laynie has, although obviously she takes that kind of crazy to a whole new level, but it makes her more relatable to the reader.

                The pace of the book was great, I didn't feel there was any lags or lulls it went pretty quickly, but not too quickly that I felt like the story was scattered which I liked a lot.  The sex scenes were amazeballs, very very hot and sex.  Also I like that there was detailed sex scenes where they needed to be and not have just one detailed sex scene and then skim over the others.  The story in general was very compelling, and definitely intriguing.


Cons:  Details, details, details!  I feel like this is my number one complaint lately and it’s starting to get on my nerves.    It’s just a pet peeve of mine when an author can skip on details of important things, but then get into great detail about other things.  I’m over 70 pages into the book, and I still don’t know what kind of apartment (I’m assuming it’s an apartment) Laynie lives in.  There is no description of where she lives whatsoever, or where it is, how close is it to the club, why that apartment, does she have a roommate; nothing!  Plus the club where she looks at I got a massive description of the “bubbles” section of the club, but that’s it.  I know what a night club looks like, but this is supposed to be an exclusive type of place, and I need to know what sets it apart from any other place, where is the bar located to the dance floor, what colors dominate, that kind of thing.  There is none of that, I don’t know when authors stopped realizing how important those kind of background details were, but it’s getting my nerves!  



Overall:  If you love rich hot men, with rich hot sex scenes then this is the book for you.  There is no BDSM in it like Fifty Shades of Grey so if you liked the sex in that book and not the BDSM, then this is the series for you.  Like I said before the pace of the book was great, I didn’t feel like it was too slow or too fast.  I do wish there was more details about the places around them.  When Laynie mentions how his loft is modern and the Hamptons house was traditionally decorated there needs to be more details.  Traditional for the Hamptons is not traditional for most beach houses or other places in general.  There needs to be more detail, I need to feel like the author has her own place in the Hamptons or has researched it enough to know exactly what that means.  The same goes with New York City, tell me about Laynie’s apartment, what color are the walls, what kind of furniture is in the space, what is decorated throughout that tells me about her.  All those little things add to the character and make the reader more attached to characters as well, and leaving out those details is what separates a series from being legendary like Fifty Shades of Grey from being so so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment