Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kari’s Review of The Gamble (Colorado Mountain Series #1) by Kristen Ashley!!


If you liked the Corps Security Series by Harper Sloan or the With Me in Seattle Series by Kristen Proby, then you will love this series!!!


Summary: Nina is engaged to a man named Niles in England.  She needs a timeout to re-evaluate her relationship with him because he seems to be as clueless as they come when it comes to Nina and her feelings.  She takes her timeout adventure and heads to the mountains of a Colorado town called Gnaw Bone.  When Nina arrives at the A-Frame she rented for her timeout in a crazy snowstorm, she finds the house is being used by the amazingly hot owner Holden “Max” Maxwell. There has been a mix up and Max kicks her out.  Nina has sass and is not afraid to tell Max what she thinks of him or the situation so she does and heads back into town.  Nina is beyond annoyed, not feeling well and before she can get there, her rental car winds up in a ditch and she resigns herself to spending the night in her car.  Then next morning she wakes up in Max’s bed, sick.  Nina is nursed back to health by Max and is suddenly trying to fight her attraction to a man she doesn’t know.  Everyone in town, Max’s friends, and her parents all want them together.  During Nina’s two week timeout adventure, she encounters murder, she makes friends, and finds that taking a gamble on Max is better than being with Niles, a man who doesn’t even know how she takes her coffee.
What I love about this book:  I am a huge Kristen Ashley fan, so it’s difficult to not just say I loved everything!  Ok, since I can’t do that let’s start with the description.  This book is longer than most I have read, but that is due to the amount of time KA takes to describe the scenery, the characters, and providing back story.  The way she depicts this small Colorado town, makes you feel like you are actually there in the story watching it unfold.  The next thing I loved was Nina’s relationship with her step brother Charlie.  He had passed, but continued to be the voice of reason and guidance in her head.  Overall, the plot was original and unlike anything I have ever read. It left me feeling warm, fuzzy, and swooning.  

What I didn’t like:  I have to say that there isn’t much I didn’t like.  Nina’s indecision about Max can get a bit annoying.  Especially when they are in an argument, she throws sass at him, and then when he sees through her, she pouts or goes into herself and shuts him out.  That’s all I got!!!  


Favorite quotes:  “I’m not making out with you in a bar.”
“Why not?”
“Why?”
His face dipped closer. “Because, first, I want you to. And second… guys are checkin’ you out and that’d be me stakin’ my claim.”
“Staking your claim?”
“It’s a guy thing.”
“It’s a Macho Mountain Man thing.”
“Same thing.”
“You’re impossible.”
“You gonna kiss me or what?”
“If I don’t, you’re just going to kiss me anyways, aren’t you?”
Again, he gave me a grin. “You finally got that?”
“Impossible,” I muttered.
“Kiss me, Duchess.”
“Found somethin’ I want, don’t tend to fuck around when that happens, Duchess. Ever.”

“I see Nina Zombie beats out Pissed Off Nina."


No comments:

Post a Comment