Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Laura’s Review of Falling Into You (Falling #1) by Jasinda Wilder

If you like Love Left Behind by S.H. Kolee, Disastrous by E.L. Montes, and Come Away With Me by Kristen Proby then you will love Falling Into You!!!



Basic Summary:  Nell Hawthorne has grown up next door to the love of her life since the day she was born.  Kyle Calloway was Nell’s soul mate it was only natural they would end up together, make babies together, and grow old together.  Until one stormy night and a tragic accident leaves Kyle dead and Nell alone in the world deeply depressed and adrift from life.  That is until she runs into Kyle’s older brother Colton on the streets of New York two years later, and together they help heal each other from their jaded pasts and somehow find a way to move on.  Nell hasn’t really ever grieved the death of Kyle, and with Colton by her side and learning what she wants out of life, she finally is able to take steps to move on. 

What I Love About This Book:  One thing I loved about Fifty Shades of Grey was that not only did it provide you with a very intriguing story line and romance; it also gave you the soundtrack to go with it.  A lot of books I’ve read since then have done the same thing, naming songs throughout the book to help set the tone for what the characters are experiencing at that moment.  This book takes its one step further by not just providing a couple of songs, but many many songs.  Also not popular songs that we all know, but really great indie singer/songwriters, on top of new and old songs blended together so perfectly I want to make a playlist just from this book.  Every time a song is mentioned I make a mission to look up the songs and listen to them at that very scene so I can get more into the book and this is the first time I have fallen head over heels in love with every single song.  Not only that the author creates her own songs as well and I can just hear the melody so well in my head I actually had to remind myself I couldn’t look this song up because it isn’t real.  It’s just that good!
          Another thing I love about this book is that usually books leave me a little tearful, some book I might shed a couple tears but this book had me bawling like a baby.  I was hysterically crying reading this book at 2 o’clock in the morning and I just could not put it down.  Kyle’s death scene is just so heart wrenching and it just shattered me, and could so picture Nell’s shock and total meltdown.  You could reach out and almost touch the feelings going on in this book.  It’s always a tragedy when someone dies way too young in real life, and you can so clearly imagine the opportunities and future that awaited Kyle and Nell but were so quickly ripped from both of them. 
          This book is so harsh and so real and raw it just blows my mind away and I truly believe Jasinda Wilder is a true genius when it comes to writing.  There isn’t too much detail, there isn’t glossing over some things and not others it’s just all right there laid out for you to read and experience.  Nell’s depression and issues aren’t sugar coated they are almost hard read how far she has fallen since Kyle’s death because it wasn’t just the loss of his life that died it was the loss of her future her life as she knew it as well.  You just morn for her and the way Colton comes in and basically saves her from herself really magical.  Their relationship is written in such a way that you can’t ignore the ghost of Kyle, it’s realistic in that guilt that Colton and Nell feel for loving each other lives with them as much as the love they have.  Their relationship develops very naturally to me, I didn’t feel like their conversations were stunted or robotic which I find when I read a lot of books, and I loved that about this book as well.  Colton is another very raw character that doesn’t have all this positive fake unrealistic energy about him, he’s dark and has his own ghosts to battle from his pasts.  Colton is an admirable character that you just yearn to learn more about as you keep reading.

Cons:  I kind of wish that this was about 20 pages longer, I feel like the ending was just blah.  It just kind of ended, after all this roller coaster of emotions going on inside me after reading it would have been nice to have more closure.  I know there is a second book, but it’s a parallel book to this one, so I would’ve liked to see more an epilogue 5 years into the future maybe.  I realize that their singing is what saves them and brings them together but I would’ve loved to have seen some kind of result of this.  What happens when she goes to college, she is going to a performing arts school but for what?  Is she going for singing song writing, singing, playing the guitar, what specifically?  I feel like that was glossed over and a string left hanging in this plot.  Like I said maybe this is somewhat addressed in the next book, but since book 2 has two separate characters as the main characters I highly doubt it will really go into detail about Colton and Nell’s future.  I feel like I didn’t get the closure I needed with this book.

Side Note:  There is an artist I love to listen to whose life was cut tragically short at the age of 35.  Evan Bliss was an amazing singer songwriter who was very much loved by his wife and family and his song A Little Goes totally reminds of this book. 


Overall:  This book soooooo amazing, but only read it if you are in the mood for a real tear jerker.  If you want to read hearts and roses, and rainbows then this isn’t the book for you.  Loved the story, cried liked a baby, and was left with a major book hangover.  

No comments:

Post a Comment