Sunday, August 25, 2013

Laura's Review: Wethering the Storm (The Storm #2) by Samantha Towle

Basic Summary:  Girl grows up next to boy; boy has crappy family moves away and becomes a famous rock star.  Girl (Trudy) is granted an exclusive interview, knowing the interview is Jake Wethers the boy she fell in love as a little girl but moved away and never kept in touch has her stressed out!  Of course he remembers her; the first book goes into the start of their tumultuous relationship ends with a huge rock on her finger.   This book covers their more steady relationship, even though there definite fights and Jake being an ass a couple times.  Trudy settling in to a new LA lifestyle and it is a journey of their new life together.

What I loved about this book:  GREAT sex scenes!!! Awesome!!!! Best one definitely deals with Trudy naked, blindfolded, outside and on the hood of an Aston Martin.  I love rock star books and this does not disappoint in that aspect.  What I like this series that Samantha Towle adds is actual lyrics to Jake’s songs.  Other rock star books don’t give you that much detail when these hot and sexy rock stars are on stage, but Samantha Towle delivers. 
          At first the book was very even and steady and I was beginning to wonder what the point of a second book was if there was no drama going on!  I mean you can’t write a book about someone’s everyday boring life it’s just not fun to read.  But then Samantha delivers in the drama and I mean DRAMA!!!!! More drama than the first book which dealt with Jake’s drug use and his maybe not really infidelity and their constant back and forth in book 1 was pretty good.  This is better!!!!! Trust me.
          I won’t say what happens but it definitely has you doubting their happily ever after, and at certain points it brings a little bit of tears to my eyes.  The book ends wonderfully and sums everything up quite nicely not leaving you need more, but always wanting more.  Jake Wethers is a hot sexy character and Trudy is a sweet, understanding, amazing soul mate.  Like I said before the sex scenes are great and there is plenty of them to go around!!
Great Quote:  “There isn't anything I won’t do for you Tru.  Nothing I won’t do to make you happy.  What I feel for you…it’s limitless.  There is nothing before or after you.  There is only you.”

Cons:  As much as I love this book, there were certain scenes I felt were greatly lacking in detail, I felt like in some scenes more detail would have made me more invested in their environment around them causing me to more  emotionally into the story while reading the book.  A good example is Trudy describing a house, “It’s a single-story.  Concrete, stucco, and wood-the combination is incredibly striking.  It’s modern & stunning…”  That’s wonderful and all, but tell me what color the stucco is, what is the front yard like, can you see windows from this point of view, what color are the shudders? I felt like if there was more detail to this house, then I would’ve been able to really picture this house.  The scene then goes on to describe the interior and at a certain point it reads like a real estate website, stating the amount of rooms and kitchen and pool.  But where is all this located? When Trudy walks in the door is the kitchen in the back of the house?  What color are the walls?  Where is the bedroom compared to the living room?  What is the backyard like?  All I know is that it has an infinity pool and a guest house, nothing else.  I get that some authors like for the reader to create his or her own house in their heads but for me at least those details matter.  They make the story more solid and I am able to become more emotionally invested not just in the characters but with the story itself.  Instead, seeing these lack of details just makes me mad and not into the story-line at all.
          Another major con for me is if you haven’t read the first book you are going to be totally lost reading this book.  I get it’s a series but not everyone has the belief they need to read a series in order and if you read this book as a stand-alone you would be screwed.  The book does not really go into the look of the characters in the beginning, so if you’re just reading this you have no real idea what these people look like.  Eventually the author describes Trudy’s lips and her awesome breasts (you’ll get it once you read the book) but it’s scattered and very little.  Same goes for the back characters like Simone and Denny.  I read The Mighty Storm over a year ago, I didn't memorize what these people look like and certain things that happen in this book are linked to previous scenes in book one with no real explanation. 

Overall:  I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars; I’m very strict when giving out stars.  Very little books get 4 stars for me, and it’s rare I give 5 stars.  Sooooooo 3 stars is pretty good for me!!!

          

No comments:

Post a Comment