Saturday, June 13, 2015

Laura’s Review of Breaking Her Rules (Beyond the Cage, #1) By Jennifer Snow



Synopsis
MMA fighters go the distance in this all-new series from Jennifer Snow, author of the Brookhollow novels.

Walker Adams was supposed to follow in his lawyer father’s footsteps, but instead he’s training to be an MMA fighter. And while he works for his chance to make it in the UFC, he’s bunking on his baby sister’s best friend’s couch. Gracie Andrews is all grown up—in all the right places. But she’s engaged to the fight match-maker who holds Walker’s career in his hands…

Gracie had almost convinced herself that she’d put her silly childhood crush on Walker to rest. But the sight of him sleeping in only a pair of boxer briefs makes it clear that some things never change. And as old sparks turn to flames, Gracie is forced to decide between the future she thought she wanted or the man she’s never stopped loving… 

What I Loved
          I have a soft spot for romances about childhood crushes so I very happy to get this ARC.  Gracie grew up worshipping Walker as a child, and is confronted by him once again as an adult.  It was cute watching his feelings for Gracie grow when he sees her again and eventually falls for her.  I think that’s why I enjoyed this story so much, watching two people who’ve known each other for so long make their way through adulthood and these new budding feelings. 

          I loved how Walker not only fought to get ahead in the MMA but also fought for Gracie at every turn. She didn’t make it easy for him but he knew what he wanted and went after it.  Walker is definitely an alluring character and I totally had a goofy smile on my face at certain points because of him.  He’s sexy, confident and he has given up a lot to follow his dreams, Walker is a true man in every way and exudes that throughout the book.

Not So Much
         

            I kind of felt like there was a lot of buildup of something very dramatic happening and when it finally came I was a bit let down.  There was this threat looming over Walker’s head about not messing with Matchmaker’s girl and when that came to fruition I was like; “that’s it?” There was just so much build to a climax that was almost anticlimactic when it finally happened.  Plus the beginning of the book was just way too slow, there wasn’t even a freaking kiss until about 60% of the way through.  It was became a little annoying not to see any action until I’m almost done with the story.

          Also I felt like there was a lack of details, I wish there would’ve been more description of Gracie’s apartment and maybe where in Vegas she lived. Also a description of where her office was compared to where she lived, just general stuff like that. I learned more about Gracie and Walker’s hometown then I did about where they actually lived.  I get it’s Las Vegas, but people that live there experience it differently than people who visit, and I would’ve like to have seen that.

To Sum It All Up!

          This was such a cute story about childhood crushes evolving into full on love.  I absolutely adored Walker, he is one sexy man who goes after he wants.  Gracie was easy to like, but her constant denial and back and forth became tedious after a while. It kind of danced on the line of just a bit too much for me.  It made it hard to fall completely in love with her, but she was someone a reader can relate easily to and support.  I loved how much fighting was involved in this story, I felt like MMA was third main character which I totally enjoyed.  This is the start of a great series and I can’t wait to read the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment