Saturday, March 28, 2015

Laura’s Review of Since Drew by J. Nathan



Synopsis
        All Andi Parker has ever wanted, all she’s ever dreamed of, is a spot on the Olympic track team. But when an accident leaves her hospitalized with serious injuries and shattered dreams, she’s not only uncertain what her future holds but also completely alone.

        Drew Slater is a wanted man. Professional football teams want him for his arm. Women want him for his good looks and magnetic personality. But the well-crafted disguise he wears, the one that helps him score on and off the field, hides secrets. Conceals lies. Threatens the happiness of everyone around him.

          One chance encounter brings Andi and Drew together, changing their worlds in ways they never thought possible. Unfortunately, what they thought they knew about themselves—and about each other—might just be the biggest lie of all.


What I Loved
          This was a really cute book that took a couple twists and turns, some I didn’t see coming others I kind of predicted.  The story begins with Andi jogging late night getting herself psyched for the next day to run in the Olympic trials.  You learn right away that this has always been Andi’s dream and has prepared for this moment for a very long time.  All this is shattered when a car slams into her body.  My heart was in my throat and to watch all her hopes and dreams slip away just like that was heart breaking.  You’re immediately sucked into her story, and struggle to make sense of this tragedy and the long road of recovery ahead of her.

          From the beginning it was easy to love Drew, he was charming and funny and was able to make Andi smile.  Since it was easy for me to fall in love with Drew, obviously there was no way Andi couldn’t.  The author has a way of sucking you into this new romance immediately and then throw a wrench in it that I totally did not see coming at all. I loved that because it kept me on my toes and I was not able to put this book down! The chemistry between these two was automatic and palpable and the budding love between them definitely put a smile on my face. 


Not So Much
          This was such a great story, and I pretty much enjoyed every minute of it.  The character development was right on, but I wish there was more foundation built for both Drew and Andi.  Their present day selves were described really well but I wish I could’ve seen more of their backgrounds.  I know very little of Andi or Drew’s childhood so it was hard to understand at times where they were coming from.  Even if an extra page was put in to explain and build these characters a little bit more, it would’ve made the story a lot more solid and easier to relate to both Drew and Andi.  You kind of learn about Drew’s family as well as Andi’s but nothing is really is mentioned about their past and who they were and are as people.

To Sum It All Up!

      
       This was such a great read, very quick and easy but still held a couple surprises and heart break. Andi immediately is a very likable female lead, determined and headstrong who knows what she wants out of life and goes for it.  I loved how much Drew loved Andi, it just made him even sexier and lovable. Of course there were some pretty steamy love scenes between these two and I enjoyed those very much.  The writing was really great, no fragmented sentences which made it easy to become engrossed in the plot.  I do wish more of a foundation was built when it came to the characters, and maybe a little bit more details when describing the backgrounds around the characters but overall an awesome story.  This book has definitely made me a fan of J. Nathan and I would recommend her to anyone who listens!

No comments:

Post a Comment