Monday, January 20, 2014

Laura’s Review of Camouflaged (Hiding from Love, #0.5) by Selena Laurence


This is a prequel to Concealed do not read Concealed without reading this!!!!!


Basic Summary

               Gabe Thompson enlisted to help out his buddy, but three years later he’s 100% US military bad boy, serving in the desert of Afghanistan where the days are hot, but the nights are hotter.

                Alexis Garcia is out to save the world.  The University of Texas freshman has come to Afghanistan to do aid work with the United Nations.  She’s all about the peace, and she has no use for the camp’s biggest baddest, gun toting player.

                But, sometimes camouflage is more than a color, and people aren’t what they seem.  When conflict develops not only between Gabe and Alexis, but also all around them, they’re forced to look deeper, and what they find will rock their worlds and change their hearts forever.


What I Love About This Book

                So I honestly didn’t know what to expect when reading this prequel and I was honestly pleasantly surprised.  I’m always hesitant to read authors I haven’t really heard tons about and I didn’t really look to see the reviews before I got into this but the novella was great!  I thought the sentence structures were awesome and the character development was pretty good considering this is a novella, there was no skimping on details when it came to Alex and Gabe.  I felt like by the end I really knew each one of them pretty well.

                I wasn’t sure where this novella would take me but I absolutely loved the journey.  It was interesting to see that soldiers overseas still can have sex lives, and thinking about it makes sense but I guess I never really put too much thought into before.  I really liked Gabe he provided nice comic relief when needed but I still took him seriously throughout the story.  He definitely is that quintessential hero that all women love so much.  Slap an army uniform on him and he is my dream man!  There is something about how damaged he is psychologically from his father abandoning him and his mother at a young age that makes you just want to curl up in his lap and fix him in more ways than one! 
            
     Alexis in the very beginning kind of pisses me off but I think that’s the intent of her character and it’s not just Gabe’s development in this novella that matters it’s also Alexis’.  For someone to go to Afghanistan being so ignorant and one sided was kind of annoying, why go there and help people if you don’t believe in your country being over there in the first place?  But I’m glad she essentially came around and some of the scenes between her and Gabe were beyond hot, even if one of them took place in a cold cave. 




Cons
                I know this is a novella and I get that tons of details can’t go into a novella but I still would’ve liked a little bit more details.  I don’t really know what an army camp in Afghanistan looks like so I would’ve liked more descriptions there especially when it comes to the tents that Gabe and Alexis was staying in.  I have no clue what an arm tent looks like, how many people fit in it, you know all that good stuff.  Also when it comes to details I have no idea what Gabe looks like.  There are tons of descriptions of Alexis’ features, but I couldn’t find one thing about Gabe.  All I know is that he’s hot and I’m assuming from the cover he has brown hair but it doesn’t even say that in the book.  This novella is from his point of view I need something more to go on when it comes to the main character. 


Overall

           Great pace in this story, I didn’t find any types of lulls or scenes that were dragged out.  Even novellas that can sometimes happen and I’m glad it didn’t in this one.  Great character development as far as personalities goes with Gabe and Alexis.  Like I said before though I would’ve liked more description about Gabe’s looks because there really wasn’t anything there about what he looks like, hot tall he is, what his ethnicity is, nothing.  The story definitely had a bunch of heart pounding moments in them which are awesome, I love stories that I absolutely need to find out what happens next.  I usually like to read series in order and I was all set to read Hidden (Hiding from Love, #1) but I just need to find out what happens with Gabe and Alexis so I’m probably going to skip right ahead to Concealed (Hiding from Love, #2).  This story is very intriguing and the description for Concealed looks pretty awesome.  Great story and the flow of the plot felt really natural nothing forced or robotic about this story.  The sex scenes were great, but too detailed but these books aren’t listed under erotica so I wouldn’t expect them to be.  Can’t wait to read Concealed!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment