Monday, January 13, 2014

Kari's Review of Charade by Nyrae Dawn






If you loved The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst, or Waking Up Married by Mira Lyn Kelly, then you will adore this book!!

Basic Summary

               Nineteen year old Cheyenne tries to portray the perfect life to mask the memories of her past.  Walking in on her boyfriend with another woman her freshman year in college threatens that picture of perfection. 

Twenty-one year old Colt never wanted college and never expected to amount to anything, but when his mom’s dying wish is for him to get his degree, he has no choice but to pretend it’s what he wants too.

Cheyenne needs a fake boyfriend to get back at her ex and Colt needs cash to take care of his mom, so they strike a deal that helps them both. But what if Cheyenne’s past isn’t what she thought? Soon, they’re trading one charade for another-losing themselves in each other to forget their pain.  The more they play their game, the more it becomes the only thing they have that feels real.

Both Cheyenne and Colt know life is never easy, but neither of them expect the tragedy that threatens to end their charade and rip them apart forever.

What I Love About This Book

        The fact that Cheyenne doesn’t break down and fall into herself after she finds out her boyfriend cheated on her and goes out and finds Colt to play the game to make him see she doesn’t need him in her life, made me love her.  In a very odd way, it shows strength and independence.  After the games begin, and the wrong assumptions are made about each other, these two people who are from very different worlds, fall into a forever kind of love.  I also loved the alternating POVs.  It is always fantastic to get the male perspective in any love story. 

The emotions I felt during this book are what books are supposed to be.  They take you to a place that makes you feel with every ounce of yourself.  I won’t spoil it for you, but Colt made me want to hug him, cradle him like a baby, and rock him until the end of time.  

Last, but definitely not least, the author does a great job introducing secondary characters and setting us up for the next installments in the series.

Cons
               The thing about having such an emotionally charged book that deals with young people trying to cope and stay strong for each other is, sometimes the ugly crying doesn’t stop and drains you.  After reading this book, which is fairly short and could be read in one sitting, I wanted to jump right into the second book because I wanted to know more, but I needed an emotional break.   Now, this is not a bad thing exactly, but I have never needed a “book-break” before.  So if these are the only “cons” then so be it.  

Overall
               I would recommend this book to every single young person I know who is just starting out their lives.  The situations and adult-themed tragedies are something that every person will experience in their lives.  That feeling of if what you are doing is right.  Making bad choices.  Dealing with loss.  Charade is a book that is about finding out who you are when you have no other choice because life has forced you too.  This is something I can relate to and remember very clearly from when I was 18 years old.  You will not be disappointed with this book.  


Favorite Quotes

“Not everything is always black and white, Princess.” ~ Colt 

“Tomorrow…don’t remind me I said this.  I won’t want to talk about it, but tonight…keep me safe.” ~ Cheyenne

“This is a game.  Our game.  One that I asked for, but with each day it feels more real.  More real than anything ever has.  What to do.  I shouldn’t fall for this guy.” ~ Cheyenne
“I’m not a real hand-holding-kind-of-guy, especially when I’m not really hooking up with the girl.  The kissing?  That I can handle, but the rest of it is too frolicking-through-the-flowers for my taste.” ~ Colt






No comments:

Post a Comment