Thursday, December 26, 2013

Laura’s Review of Beck (Corps Security, #3) by Harper Sloan


If you love The Look of Love by Bella Andre, Rock Chick Reckoning by Kristen Ashley, At Peace by Kristen Ashley, and Hard as it Gets by Laura Kaye then you will love this book!!!!


Basic Summary: Dee: I've always been good at wearing masks.  Not letting anyone see the real me.  I’m content being the happy-go-lucky best friend.  The strong willed boss.  The independent woman who doesn't need a man.

                But the truth is I’m just as broken as the rest of you.  I’m terrified that all it will take is one person to make all my carefully constructed walls crumble into find dust.  So I guard my heart with everything I have.  Determined to never let anyone get close enough to hurt me again.

                All is perfect until HE walks into my life.  No…he doesn't just walk.  He struts his good-looking, sex-oozing self, right into my space and demands that I see HIM.  Making me want what I know I can’t have.So I did the only thing I know how to do.  I run.  But he just won’t let me go.

Beck:  The second I see her.  I know she will be mine.  I see past the gorgeous smiles and heart-stopping laughter.  I see HER.  She doesn't want me to know her secrets or the past that haunt her, but I make it my mission to find out.  To make her mine.

                She can run all she wants, but it will never be far enough to stop me from coming after her.  She’s it for me and she knows it.  She’s just too scared to admit it.



What I Love About This Book:  I really like this series a lot because I like characters that are a little jaded (or a lot jaded) because it adds a more emotional element to a story and this series doesn't disappoint in that category.  The depression that Denise sinks in is pretty deep and very scary at certain points in this story, and I love that no matter what Beck is just there.  He never leaves her side, even after she pushes him away time and time again.  He never loses hope in her, even after years of her sinking deeper into herself, and him not being able to just love her.

                It’s so weird because after Axel (Corps Security, #1) and Cage (Corps Security, #2) I loved those character so much, but now I kind of hate them and am very mad at them.  Denise is supposed to be their best friend and they have just been too involved in their own life to even know her struggle for two years!!!!! Come on!!!! I wouldn't even count them as friends after a while I would wash my hands of that relationship and move on, no matter how hard I tried to hide that something is wrong a friend is someone who shouldn't be distracted enough to notice I’m going through something.  So yeah they just really pissed me off in this book.

                I love the banter between the guys in this series a lot, when they get together and start to argue like brothers it just has me cracking up!  It’s a great relationship between all of them at Corps Security, and I don’t want to give anything away but after reading this book you really see just how much they mean to each other.  Parts of this book they all make you laugh and there are parts of this book that they will all make you cry hysterically. 


Cons:  At first I felt this book was a slow starter because it begins with the very beginning of their relationship that took place in book one and I didn't want to have to basically reread the same story from a different point of view.  I was glad we finally pushed past that and it wasn’t the majority of the story, but to me it was just a little slow going.

                Also it was weird because the first book really went into detail about the setting of the characters.  I knew what Axel’s house looked like, I knew the layout of his house and the same goes for where Izzy and Denise were living.  But ever since that first book there has been a REAL lack of details about the places around these characters.  I have no idea where Beck’s house is in comparison to Denise’s place.  I don’t even know if Denise is living in a house, or an apartment let alone the lay out the place, how she furnishes the place; nothing!! I need these things in a story because it adds to the character development giving these people depth as well as the plot of this entire book.  I need more details please!!!! All I know about Beck’s place is that he has a table that is breakable, likes to do woodworking out in his garage, but I have no idea what his house looks like and what that tells me about him as a person.  Plus also felt like the details of Beck’s looks were prominent in the beginning of this book, so I was able to get a good image of him in my head.  But the same could not be said for Denise, even though she is a more of prominent person in book one, I can’t remember the details of her description in that one and I shouldn’t have to.  Her description of what she looks like should have been just as prominent as Becks in the beginning of this book, for such a long time all I got was that she had long curly brown hair.  That’s it, I have no idea how tall she is, what her skin tone is, what color eyes she has; nothing!




Overall:  This was a great story, and I absolutely love this series!! I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this book because Dee kind of annoyed me in book one with her all her bubbliness, but I actually grew to really like her in this one.  It was also great to get answers for her constant back and forth with Beck throughout the first two books, and it that finally resolved.  There were parts of this book that just ripped my heart out and I was hysterically crying at 2 o’clock in the morning reading this book.  This story definitely kept me on my toes the entire time, and the ending was pretty good and parts of it are very bitter sweet.  Harper Sloan has set up what I think will be the next story in this series involving Cooper, pretty nicely and I can’t wait to read that book.  I love books that pull at my emotions and this book definitely did that, having me laugh one minute and cry the next.  I do wish there was more detail in this book that would’ve helped a lot in character development for both Beck and Dee.  There were times where I felt that Beck was just too good to be true, all his I love you no matter what was laid on a little too thick at certain points but I definitely love him as a character and Dee.  This story kind of turned the first two books on their heads when it came to Dee as a character, and instead of making me love Izzy and Greg even more in this book they just annoyed me in the friend department.  I kind of love this because relationships are mercurial and to see things from a different perspective when reading a book is a great to put a new spin on something you already know.  This story turns out to be very bittersweet for all these characters, I was in hysterics at a certain point and I like that there is a setup of Cooper’s story and Maddox’s as well by the end of this book. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment