Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lauren's Review of Dark and Stormy (Sacred Hearts Coven) by Felicia Starr

Summary: The sisters of the Sacred Hearts Coven gather every month with one intention, to ignite a flame of passion into one lucky person’s love life. Regina’s work is her driving force. She strives to be the top of her game, but there is a large thorn in her side—Reddick, her apparent nemesis. His confident and somewhat arrogant persona makes her blood boil, but as the saying goes: there is a thin line between love and hate. Will a touch of magic have Regina opening her heart to the unknown? Or will she run from this storm only to be crushed by her greatest fear?

*Received ARC for an honest review


Rating: 4 Stars


What I Loved About This Book:  This was a simple, quick,  easy-going read for me. All the characters are enjoyable and likeable plus the story is well-written and engaging.  I loved the suspense between Regina and Reddick and Felicia does not disappoint when they finally have their moment. One thing that stood out to me was the realness between Regina and Reddick. Sometimes I feel the author goes a little too crazy with the love scenes. They can seem unrealistic, far-fetched and overall confusing (wait...he put that where and she is in what position??)  One scene that sticks out in my head and I literally laughed out loud is when Regina is trying to pull Reddick's shorts down and they got stuck on you know what and it bounces back and smacks her against the cheek.  It stands out to me because it has happened on more than one occasion to me and my husband, especially when he's pitching a tent in a pair of gym shorts.  I loved the accuracy of the sex scene between them.  We picture in our heads what we want to do to our men but the realization is that sometimes we are not as sexy as we pictured and Felicia captured that for me in this story.  Aside from that, there are some cutesy heart-felt moments and some feisty banter between Regina and Reddick.

Not So Much:  I don't know if I would label this book as a Paranormal Romance.  While the first chapter and epilogue focuses on the Sacred Heart Coven, the majority of the story is just a normal office romance.  Maybe an addition chapter should focus on the coven and give the readers more of a background about the coven and who all the witches are and how they came about.  Also, the story plays out nicely but I felt that last couple of pages were rushed and wraps up too quickly. The story leads up perfectly to Regina and Reddick but when they finally get together, the story wraps up suddenly.

Next On My TBR List: Beauty and the Earl (The Pleasure Wars #3) by Jess Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment