Monday, December 9, 2013

Lauren's Review of The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies #1) by Tarryn Fisher

Summary: Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

**Warning!! This review contains SPOILERS!! You have been warned!!**

Rating: 3 Stars

What I Loved: I had some trouble with this book but what I loved is the love story. One of the reason I really enjoyed reading this story was because of Caleb and Olivia's story.  Some of my favorite parts of this book were the flashbacks to the past.  I loved how he pursued her and how he threw the game for her, (seemed kind of an odd request) but still a romantic gesture. I love the idea of your first love and that you always hold a special place for them in your heart. I enjoyed the ride they both took and how they kept coming back into each other's life.

Cons: Maybe it was just me but I was a little confused at times. The story line does go from past/present and the chapters are clearly marked but I felt sometimes I had to reread a paragraph because the author lost me. To much hinting and not enough telling. That got annoying at times. I kept waiting for this big reveal and it left me disappointed.  I don't love Olivia. I don't mind characters that are flawed but I think she is actually pretty crazy and needs therapy.  I find it a bit creepy/psychotic that she took Jessica to the clinic to get an abortion and that she slept with a complete stranger to get back at Caleb. At least she had him wear a condom.

I think there is only so much you can do to hurt a person. I can't see how Caleb could still love her.
Oh and I absolutely hate Leah and I don't see how I can read the next book when I despise the character so much. 

Next Read: Gabriel's Redemption (Gabriel's Inferno #3) by Sylvain Reynard...I've been waiting a long time for this book and I am going sit back and take my time reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment