Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Laura & Lauren's Review of Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2) by J. A. Redmerski



If you love Unattainable by Madeline Sheehan, Making the Cut by Kim Jones, and Seduced in the Dark by C.J. Roberts then you love this book!!!!!!!




Basic Summary: Determined to live a dark life in the company of the assassin who freed her from bondage, Sarai sets out on her own to settle a score with an evil sadist.  Unskilled and untrained in the art of killing, the events that unfold leave her hanging precariously on the edge of death when nothing goes as planned.

                Sarai’s reckless choices send her on a path she can never turn back from and so she presents Victor with an ultimatum: help become more like him and give her a fighting chance, or she’ll do it alone no matter the consequences.  Knowing that Sara cannot become what she wants to be overnight, Victor begins to train her and inevitably their complicated relationship heats up.

                As Arthur Hamburg’s right-hand man, Willem Stephens, closes in on his crusade to destroy Sarai, she is left with the crushing realization that she may have bitten off more than she can chew.  But Sarai, taking on the new and improved role of Izabel Seyfried, still has a set of deadly skills of her own that will prove to be all she needs to secure her place beside Victor.

                But there is one test that Izabel must face that has the potential to destroy everything she is working so hard to achieve.  One final text that will not only make her question her decision to want this dangerous life, but will make her question everything she has come to trust about Victor Faust.


What I Love About This Book:  Okay by chapter six my jaw was literally on the floor and my heart pounding!!! Wow just complete craziness from the very beginning.  The second book like book one, has you on the edge of your seat from the very beginning and doesn’t let up until the very end.

 I love Victor Faust sooooo much, he has that whole dark, mysterious, sexy thing going for him and I
feel like no matter how much you learn about him he’s always hiding more secrets.   The chemistry between Sarai and Victor is undeniable and very hottttttt, the very first sex scene between them is amazing and the love they feel for each other hasn’t seemed to fade over time.  There is something about him that even though he’s a trained assassin, you just want him to be the hero and fall deeply in love with Sarai no matter how screwed or unhealthy it might be. 



These two characters are definitely products of their environments, having things taken away from them with no choice but growing up in very different circumstances.  Their experiences have created their personality and the lack to live a “normal” life.  I love how they both had very different situations thrust onto them but are very much a like is so many ways.  There were so many times in this story where a “normal” person would react so differently to these situations you realize just how deep their personalities have been damaged in so many ways.  I’ve never really researched any stories about the women who are trafficked and held prisoner for years, but I can’t imagine that once they escape or whatever happens to them that frees them, that they are able to lead normal lives.  The victims are forever changed from these experiences more so than other victims of violence or traumatic situations.  You can really rally behind Sarai/Izabel in this story, even if you feel that she is inherently messed up in some ways, you can’t blame her for it and you root for every step of the way.  She’s a great character to create and play with because you never know what her reaction will be to situations, or to people and because of that she keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire way.




Cons:  I kind of hate how stupid Sarai can be, and careless.  Her just barging into places and not really thinking about the consequences to me is just plain dumb and she makes me angry with her constantly.  I also can’t stand how she acts like a child at times and almost stomps her feet on the ground like a 5 year old.  It makes her less likable and I don’t like hating main characters, but that’s just me!  Because of that it made me like her as a character a little less and made it a little hard for me to completely love her.  



Overall: There are so many twists and turns in this book, at a certain point I didn’t know who Izabel/Sarai could trust.  About three quarters through the book my jaw was once again on the floor and the plot just all of a sudden blew me away.  This was such an amazing book; my heart was pounding out of my chest for most of this book.  I think at a certain point my palms actually started to sweat.  Great story, the pace of the book was great; not too fast, not too slow.  I love the switching of POVs in this story and it’s done in such a great way.  I couldn’t put this book down, definitely a page turner.  Also this story will make you question your own morals and makes you ask if you were Sarai/Izabel what would you do in these situations?  Is it possible to live your life with an assassin; is it even possible to fall in love with a man who kills people for living?  I love Victor Faust and I had to keep reminding myself that a part of me should be also be scared of him because he’s a dangerous man.  He’s the perfect anti-hero I don’t think anyone could do any better than J.A. Redmerski did with creating such a dynamic, complicated set of characters.  

____________________________________________________

Lauren's Review
(There are some small spoilers are in this review but nothing that will ruin the whole book for you)


I am going to have to agree with Laura!! HAHA Finally! I give Reviving Izabel 4 wonderful stars!!!

What I Loved: What makes this series so enjoyable is the edge of your seat storyline and the hot love story of Sarai & Victor.  I cannot get enough of them! I was really looking forward to book two and it was even better than I expected.  The book grabbed my attention immediately when Sarai began plotting her revenge on Arthur Hamburg (I was hoping Victor was keeping tabs on Sarai). The twists and turns in this book are so enjoyable and unexpected. I love a book that makes me want to ignore my life and bury myself deep in the story.



I understand what Laura is saying about Sarai being careless but I don't see it necessarily as carelessness. Sarai is so focused on being independent and self-sufficient that I feel like she believes she can handle herself regardless of the situation leading her to get into situations were she is in over her head.  For example, when she goes to Arthur's restaurant alone, we all know she is not ready to take him out but in her head, she felt she was capable. Nothing makes me happier than a strong, dependent woman lead. I loved that she trained to become an assassin and that she was able to pass the tests she needed to without ever giving in.


Cons: My fingers were in pain reading that one part! Holy crap!!! I would fold under that kind of torture!!!! That was a bit much for me...skipped over that part!!!

*Side note...if this is ever made into a movie, I can soooo see Michael Fassbender as Victor!!

What's Next on my TBR:
Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment