Sunday, December 8, 2013

Laura’s Review of Beautiful Bastard (Beautiful Bastard #1) by Christina Lauren


If you loved About That Night by Julie James, Squeeze Play by Kate Angell, and Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie then you will love this book!!!


Basic Summary: An ambitious intern.  A perfectionist executive.  And a whole lot of name calling.
               
Whip-smart, hardworking, and on her way to an MBA, Chloe Mills has only one problem: her boss, Bennett Ryan.  He’s exacting, blunt, inconsiderate—and completely irresistible.  A Beautiful Bastard.
              
  Bennett has returned to Chicago form France to take a vital role in his family’s massive media business.  He never expected that the assistant who’d been helping him from abroad was the gorgeous, innocently provocative—completely infuriating—creature he now has to see every day.  Despite the rumors, he’s never been one for a workplace hookup.  But Chloe’s so tempting he’s willing to bend the rules—or outright smash them—if it means he can have her.  All over the office.

                As their appetites for one another increase to a breaking point, Bennett and Chloe must decide exactly what they’re willing to lose in order to win each other.



What I Love About This Book:  Right away I hated Bennett Ryan, and right away I thought Bennett Ryan was damn sexy!!! By page 18 of this book there is probably one of the hottest sex scenes that ended nicely with sweet revenge.  Great way to begin this book!

                I love Chloe!!! She is freaking awesome, the first sex scene where she just walks right out of the room, I was just like “Chloe you are my hero!” She is a great character and she is the one that immediately sucks me into this book so much I couldn’t put it down and when it was over I wanted more!  I love that not only is she an amazing intern she getting her MBA at night and is able to remain on top of everything because I know if that was me I wouldn’t be able to do survive.  She’s a strong female lead, and she was written beautifully.  I think it’s great she stands up to Bennett when he’s being a total asshole and doesn’t take any of his shit, and able to make some very hard decisions towards the end of the book.

                Right away you hate Bennett, from chapter one you see why he’s called Beautiful Bastard.  He might be a perfectionist but he goes about it the wrong way.  I love that it’s not only Chloe that gives him a hard time it’s his entire family as well.  He needs people to humble him, because if he didn’t have people around him to ground him he would probably be a bigger asshole and then I would totally hate him no matter where this story went.  He is really hot though, and the chemistry between Bennett and Chloe is beyond hot.  I love his character development in the beginning of the book, and I love the journey he takes most of all because out of all the characters in this book he the one that changes most of all.


Cons:  I really have no complaints about this book.  I do kind of wish the characters would’ve gotten their shit together soon.  It was frustrating after a while that neither of them would just say how they were beginning to feel.  But to me that isn’t a real con in my eyes because I love when books me mad and frustrated just as much I love when they make me cry, or laugh, or gush.  I guess I didn’t quite understand why neither of them was like since we like each other and we’re hooking up maybe she should switch departments or least have gone to Bennett’s father and explained the situation.  I didn’t understand why Bennett’s father Elliot would’ve been upset if Bennett explained he really liked her and wanted to be with her sooner.  People fall in love with each other at work every day so to me it wasn’t and an end all situation. 


Overall:  I love this book.  I absolutely love this series!!!  It’s so great that this story just jumps right into it, there is no beating around the bush or sexual tension build up for over half the book then they finally have sex.  Nope not in this story! They get it on pretty quickly and it starts off just one unbelievable scene after the other.  I love that in the end of this book, Chloe made some hard decisions but did what was best for her career and her relationship with Bennett while important didn’t mean her career came to a stop.  I love that Bennett was the one that molded his life to her new decisions towards the end and that the passion they have for one another never died or slowed down at certain points.  There were no lulls in this book, the pace of the story was quick but not too quick and ended beautifully.  This is a great series I truly love Christina and Lauren and this series.  I love that the POV changes from chapter to chapter as well, giving you a more well-rounded story, as opposed a story from just one person’s POV.




Best Scene:  For me the best scene in this book involved a Bennett, Chloe, a mirror, and a La Perla dressing room!  Thank you for that scene Christina  & Lauren, it was very inventive and erotic.  Probably one of the best sex scenes I’ve read in a VERY long time.  Who doesn’t have a sex in public fantasy they’ve always wanted to fulfill and Chloe and Bennett made it able for me to live vicariously through them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment