Thursday, February 9, 2017

Laura’s Review of Backfire (Vigilantes, #2) By Keri Lake

Synopsis
This book is a standalone set in the same world as Ricochet.

No matter how unbreakable he may seem, every man has a weakness.

A year ago, my home became a bloodstained crime scene. That night marked the beginning of my hell—the same night I was tortured by my enemies and tossed into an underground prison to die.

They failed. I survived.

Now that I’m free, only one motive burns in my soul: revenge.

Lucky for me, they think Jase Hawkins is dead. Maybe I am. I’ve got nothing but a cold, merciless rage, and Black Betty, the sharp steel blade that never leaves my side.

Then she drifts into my life.

Lucia wants answers—so much so, she’s willing to fall into the darkness where my enemies lie in wait, to kill her for what she knows.

Or to take her for the depraved fantasies her body alone can rouse in a man’s mind.

Me? I want her for the fire in her touch that feeds my addiction, forces me to feel what has become numb, but my appetite for bloodshed runs deeper than flesh.

For my own sanity, I’ve vowed to stay away from her. Because she’s my only weakness, an obsession that leaves me craving more—one that could make even the most steadfast plan backfire. 


What I Loved
        I absolutely cannot get enough of this series each book is as addictive as the last and the minute I began reading Backfire I couldn’t put it down.  The book begins with Jase’s back story which immediately broke my heart and from then on, no matter what he did I was his number one fan and completely in love with him. 

I have always been a big fan of dark stories and I love how Keri Lake describes the grittiness and rough world the Vigilantes Series is set in.  The minute you sit down to read this book the underbelly of Detroit settles around you and for me, I was instantly sucked in.  I loved all the background details that set the stage for both Jase and Lucia from beginning to end, it raises the plot to a whole new level and makes the experience so much more real. 

Lucia was a character that was easy to relate to even if her experiences were something I’ve never been through.  I loved her spirit and how she has fought for everything she has in life.  She’s someone who can stand up for herself and I loved her edginess and attitude.  The chemistry between her and Jase was evident from the first minute they are together and it was fascinating watching their relationship develop throughout the book. 


Not So Much
        I don’t think I have anything to put in this section because I loved this book so freaking much!!!

To Sum It All Up!
        It’s very rare I come across an author that paints such an amazing and complete picture but Keri Lake has successfully done that on every level.  She drops you into this dark world filled with blood, torture, revenge and murder and as a reader you just want more because there’s this other side to it that involves hope and love! Jase’s world was torn apart and all he can see for himself is revenge until he meets Lucia and suddenly, his world shifts.  I loved their relationship and how it built from something scary and ugly to beautiful and pure. 

        Showing that Jase is capable of so much more than violence and darkness adds depth to his character and illustrating that Lucia isn’t some damsel in distress also adds many layers to her character as well and the overall plot.  I loved how the foundation was laid out for this book and how the overall plot will lead into Ballistic.  It was a change from how Ricochet played out and I appreciate when stories in the same series turn out differently. 

        Please remember that this a dark romance so even though there are a lot of hot and sexy scenes, there are also some gory ones as well.  If you are not into some blood and violence, then I suggest you don’t read this one.  For me though, I started reading and didn’t put it down until the end and when it was all over I immediately wanted more.  Such a harrowing story about two lost souls both damaged in their own way finding each other. 

Purchase Today

No comments:

Post a Comment