Sunday, December 25, 2016

Laura’s Review of Resuscitate Me by Leddy Harper

Synopsis
Carter Hastings was only supposed to be a fling,
A summer of fun, excitement, pleasure
And, it was…
Everything.

It’s hard to walk away,
To leave the one man,
Who resuscitates me.

But I did.
He didn’t reciprocate my feelings.
He didn’t love me.
Not now.
Not ever.


What I Loved
I really liked the fact that the book dropped right into the plot, there was no huge lead in that could potentially slow things down and you immediately are drawn to the magnetism that Carter exudes.  I really liked the chemistry between him and Kara from the start and I loved their funny yet sexy run ins with each other the first time they meet. 

I liked how the story progressed, it wasn’t your typical friends with benefits love story; there were some twists and turns I didn’t see coming.  I liked Kara’s strong personality and how she called out Carter on his temper when I’m sure many people wouldn’t have.  She was definitely a no bullshit person, and that certainly my kind of lady.  Also, I loved the insta-chemistry between them and all the hot sex scenes because they couldn’t seem to keep their hands off each other.  The story definitely went a different route then I excepted but I love unpredictable plots and surprises and this one certainly did that.
Not So Much
          I wasn’t a huge fan of the writing for many reasons while reading this book.  First, there was a significant lack of details when it came to background description. For example, I have no idea what Kara’s sister-in-law’s house looks like or what Carter’s gym really looks like.  None of those backgrounds were really thought out the way they should’ve been to create a complete picture.

        Also, I have a real problem when an entire book is from the female’s point of view but all physical description is paid to the male character.  There was all this amazing description of how good looking Carter was, what his hair looked like, what he was wearing, his tattoos, I could go on and on.  But there was practically nothing when it came to Kara and what there was, was inconsistent.  In one scene strands of her hair was getting caught in her mouth, the next scene she had short hair.  If you’re going to give that much time over to the man in the book, then you need to at least try to be equal when it comes to the woman!  At least give me one full description of her, there was literally nothing.

        Another aspect that really got on my nerves were the inconsistencies, they created plot holes for me that I couldn’t ignore.  For example, Kara and Carter go on a date and it is cut short because Carter must go back to work, before they leave he says he has to pick something up before dropping her off b going to back to work, but the next scene is her going back to work with him.  I felt like that kind of stuff kept on happening, where the plot was twisted to accommodate the story rather than keep details consistent and it created a lot of holes for me.

To Sum It All Up!
        Overall I really liked the thinking behind the love story, it was a unique twist on friends with benefits to falling in love and I really appreciated that.  I loved the fact that Kara was the knight in shining armor rather than the other way around, it put a refreshing twist on things.  Plus, I loved the chemistry between Kara and Carter it was off the charts hot from the start and that didn’t die down the entire time. 

        I did feel like some negative stereotypes of women were shoved down my throat a little too much.  At a certain point in the story it’s mentioned how the “typical woman” sits moping around the house not taking showers after a break up.  Also, it’s mentioned a lot how women get too emotionally attached to men so they are incapable of just fooling around with guys.  There were so many negative categorizations thrown around in this book I couldn’t deal with it.  Women are the target audience for this type of story so it would be nice to not put them down or relegate them to an expected type of attitude. 

I liked the back and forth between Kara and Carter because I love books where characters just can’t seem to get their shit together and it frustrates you as a reader. For me, it shows how emotionally involved in the plot you become.  I do wish there was just more details all around though, there wasn’t a substantial enough foundation to make this an amazing story.  I would’ve loved to have seen more explanation when it came to both of their backstories and maybe have the secondary characters play a bigger role. This was the first book I have read by this author and I was disappointed by the writing.  For me to really get into a story I need more details and more depth to the characters overall. 

Purchase Today

No comments:

Post a Comment