Thursday, March 5, 2015

Laura’s Review of Undefeated (Fighter Erotic Romance, #1) by Scott Hildreth

 


Synopsis
**WARNING** This Erotic novel has scenes of violence and sex which are graphically depicted. This is not intended for young or immature readers.

Shane Dekkar is a ruthless boxer and a street fighter with a past he’s trying to forget. He is preparing to fight for the Heavyweight Championship of the World.

Kace Meadows is in an abusive relationship with a boyfriend she’d like to forget. She is attempting to simply survive.

Shane Dekkar can’t stand men who abuse women. He administers his own form of justice as he sees necessary.

Shane and Kace meet by chance one day when she and her boyfriend are in an argument in a public parking lot.

Shane Dekkar has never been defeated in the boxing ring or in a street fight.

Call their meeting destiny or call it fate.

This is their story.


What I Loved
          I think the beginning of the story was freaking awesome.  Instantly I was intrigued by Shane, he walked into this gym all polite but secretly lethal.  Definitely a huge turn on immediately and that pretty much sticks around throughout the entire book.  The foundation of his character was laid out nice, he’s intriguing in the beginning and slowly as the plot continues you get to know all about Shane what his past was like, what he’s all about in general.  He’s definitely an easy character to fall in love because he has such strong beliefs and sticks to them.  Shane knows what kind of man he wants to be in the future and knows how to reach those goals. 

          Also when you first meet Kace, it’s hard not to feel for this poor girl.  Plus it’s frustrating reading about her situation because it’s so sad but at the same time she refuses to make any sort of big decisions.  Although when she finally does get the courage to stand up for herself, she really impressed me and I began to like her a lot better.  I love that she is shy around boys I think it’s a very endearing quality about her. 

Not So Much
       
       I really wanted to love this book and it got such great reviews but there was something missing that just halted me from falling completely in love.  I felt like the story was being told at me, rather than being engrossed in the actual plot.  Every chapter begins with a lot or rambling about life lessons and that’s great, it does serve a purpose to the plot but it was just too much after a while and I wanted to skip over it.  Also, there wasn’t any type of follow through with certain scenes; a new story line would begin and then was never talked about again.  On top of that the sentences were very fragmented and all began the same way so it was hard to keep my attention.

          The details were severely lacking as well.  There was no description of Shane’s home, I have no idea what kind of house he lives in or where in Austin he lives.  There was no description of the gym Shane trains at, and there were no descriptions of the supporting characters like Kelsey.  I wish there was more of Austin in the book as well, Austin is such an amazing town that offers its own unique culture to Texas and I got none of that in this book.  Although Kace’s shyness around people is endearing, her constantly peeing herself wasn’t and it was a huge turn off.  People always say stupid things in front of people they are intimated but if they constantly pee themselves then I would wonder if they have an overactive bladder.  It was just kind of silly to me and I felt like Kace’s emotional maturity was that of a 10 year old not a grown woman.

To Sum It All Up!
          This plot had such potential to be amazing and gut wrenching, but it just wasn’t.  There is a lot of dramatic scenes in the beginning of the story and towards the middle, but after that it tapers off.  I kept waiting for something huge to happen, and it just didn’t.  It was a great romance and had a lot to offer there, but the way things were told felt very robotic and not natural.  It was hard to be engrossed emotionally in the plot because of the lack of details and descriptions. Plus, the plot just didn’t hold my attention the way it should’ve.  I will say as being a onetime victim of domestic violence that at times this story was hard to read. Kace was a very relatable character because everything she felt I had felt at one time in my life.  I love that this story showed the other side of domestic violence, that there can be a future after you leave and there are people out there that stand up to abusers.  Although I didn’t exactly love this story, I do feel like I would give this author another try because the plot had great foundation and some pretty awesome characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment