Monday, July 21, 2014

Lauren's Review of Quintessentially Q (Monsters in the Dark #2) by Pepper Winters


Summary: “All my life, I battled with the knowledge I was twisted… fucked up to want something so deliciously dark—wrong on so many levels. But then slave fifty-eight entered my world. Hissing, fighting, with a core of iron, she showed me an existence where two wrongs make a right." Tess is Q’s completely. Q is Tess’s irrevocably. But now, they must learn the boundaries of their unconventional relationship, while Tess seeks vengeance on the men who sold her. Q made a blood-oath to deliver their corpses at Tess’s feet, and that’s just what he’ll do. He may be a monster, but he’s Tess’s monster.
Rating: 4.5 Stars

What I Loved: Let’s get right down to why you should read this book. Obviously, if you read Tears of Tess, you know this is a dark read. With that being said, this is by far the darkest book I have ever read (yes, even darker then the Captive in the Dark series) .  Pepper Winters does an AMAZING job playing with a taboo topic but holy cow girlfriend, I had to take some breaks while reading this and take a couple of deep breaths.  Ms. Winters, I have never felt so disturbed and so turned on at the same time!  You blew my mind!! After certain scenes, my head just could not wrap around what was happening. There are just moments that are just downright disturbing and mind blowing.  I loved it!

 

It helped that we get Q’s point of view in this book. It helps to piece together his actions when we can get into that dark head of his.  I felt more of a connection this time with Q because of it.  To sum it up…unbelievable writing, fantastic descriptive imagery and an unpredictable rollercoaster ride of craziness!!

Not so Much: The beginning was a little hard for me to get into. I kept thinking to myself, I hope this isn’t the pace of the whole book or I am never going to get through this.  There was way too much focus on Q being scared and Tess trying to show Q she is not afraid of him…blah blah. But in all fairness, once you get through that part, it definitely picks up speed.
I should note that after reading Tears of Tess, I read a different book in between the second. I would suggest doing so only because it then becomes dark overload. Way too much too soon. You might need something lovie and sweet to get your mind back on track and then jump right back into the insanity.  I plan on doing this again before I read Twisted Together. Who knows where that book is going to take my dirty mind ;)
Next on my TBR list: Leo by Mia Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment