Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Laura’s Review of Theirs to Cherish (Wicked Lovers, #8) by Shayla Black


If you have read and enjoyed If Only (Masters of Shadowlands, #8) by Cherise Sinclair, Bonds of Trust (Wicked Play, #1) by Lynda Aicher, and Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) by Lorelei James  then you will LOVE this book!!!


Basic Summary
              The perfect place for a woman on the run to disappear…

            Accused of a horrific murder she didn’t commit, former heiress Callie Ward has been a fugitive since she was sixteen—until she found the perfect hideout, Club Dominion.  The only problem is she’s fallen for the club’s Master, Mitchell Thorpe, who keeps her at arm’s length.  Little does she know that his reasons for not getting involved have everything to do with his wounded heart…and his consuming desire for her.

            To live out her wildest fantasies…

            Enter Sean Kirkpatrick, a Dom who’s recently come to Dominion and taken a pointed interest in Callie.  Hoping to make Thorpe jealous, she submits to Sean one shuddering sigh at a time.  It isn’t long before she realizes she’s falling for him too.  But the tender lover who’s slowly seducing her body and earning her trust isn’t who he claims…

            And to fall in love.

            When emotions collide and truths are exposed, Sean is willing to risk all to keep Callie from slipping through his fingers.  But he’s not the only man looking to stake a claim.  Now Callie is torn between Sean and Thorpe, and through she’s unsure whom she can trust, she’ll have to surrender her body and soul to both—if she wants to elude a killer…


First Impressions
Callie
            I totally like the intrigue going on with Callie!  Who knew she had all these secrets and a tragic past to boot.  I like that we are getting to Callie’s story and I’m especially excited to get to learn more about Thorpe and get into his brain.  I totally need a good BDSM book to read and I absolutely love this series.  I like that right away we jump into the secrecy and are kind of left with a cliff hanger at the end of chapter one.  I couldn't wait to find out what happened three days priors the beginning of the book and I am instantly hooked!   Also of course I’m about 25 % of the way through already a hot sex scene followed almost immediately by another hot sex scene (same woman, two different men!).


What I Loved
            
Thorpe
   
Like I said before I could not wait to get my hands on Thorpe he has intrigued for a very long time so it was great to not only have him be the main character in a book but to have him be naked and having sex.  I love mysterious Doms and I couldn't wait to read and unlock all the hidden treasures and experience that Thorpe has to offer. 

            I loved that right away the book hooks you in with Callie running to Logan for help to disappear.  Right away you learn a lot of Callie’s secrets and all about her past and damn is it a doozy!  The first chapter leaves you wondering why Callie feels the need to run for her life and what had transpired to get her to the moment of running to Logan for help.  I love that we from her going to Logan we get to learn more about Tara and Logan’s relationship and that was awesome since they were one of my favorite couples in this series. 


Not So Much
Sean
            I really wanted to absolutely LOVE this book and I just didn't.  It took way too long to get set up the foundation of this story, which left very little time to solve the mystery part of the plot.  Once the story goes back three days to show the reasons why Callie decided to run it took forever to just to cover three days!  The other books in the series kind of got down to business by laying the plot out for you, then spend the majority of the time building these relationships and solving the mystery while the female lead is in danger.  That did not happen because by the time you get addressing the imminent danger you’re already 75% of the way through. 

            Also the sex scenes were just subpar in my opinion. Thorpe is supposed to be this big imposing Dom who knows all the tricks and is an expert at discipline and he fell short for me in that area.  I get most of the book takes place outside of Dominion so he doesn't have all his toys available but I was expecting some more than just spanking and light bondage!  When you read Jack and Morgan’s book the sex scenes are just explosive and complex and involve so many different elements you can’t get enough, but BDSM was really not a central theme when it should’ve been. 



This Book Was
         
         Pretty good! I really loved Thorpe and I was so excited to get to his story, and I was a little disappointed because to me he deserved his own love story.  I really didn't want him in a polyamorous relationship, sharing a woman with someone else where he is the secondary Dom on top of that, he deserved so much more!  Also I’m surprised this book involved a polyamorous relationship since the last book Ours to Love (Wicked Lovers, #7) revolved around that as well.  I would've appreciated it more if maybe this book contained a different type of polyamory, but it, once again it involved two men and one woman, making this story a little mundane.   I wished things were better summed up at the end as well, I felt like there were some loose ends that could’ve been more explained. 


            I am happy that Callie gets her happy ending though and it was a great ending to a situation I wasn't sure everyone would make it out of alive.  I love the resourcefulness of Callie and how independent she is while at the same time learning to reach out and lean on other people for help.  My heart breaks for her past and how much she lost at such a young age but I’m so happy she has something to look forward to now.  I kind of would like a book revolving around Axel, Thorpe’s associate at Dominion but I see the next book is dealing with a man we haven’t even met yet which is very exciting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment