Thursday, January 23, 2014

Laura’s Review of Rock Chick Reckoning (Rock Chick, #6) by Kristen Ashley


If you loved Reaper’s Property (Reaper’s MC, #1) by Joanna Wylde, Cage (Corps Security, #2) by Harper Sloan, Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1) by M. Leighton, and Rock the Heart (Black Falcon, #1) by Michelle A. Valentine then you will LOVE this book!!!

Basic Summary

               Stella’s the lead singer and lead guitarist of the Blue Moon Gypsies and Stella used to be Mace’s girl.  Mace broke up with her though and the loss of him rocked her world.  But Stella gets a call, late at night (again) from one of the members of her crazy band.  She has to go play clean up (again) and runs into Mace (and a shed load of police) and ends up getting shot.

                Mace finds he doesn’t like it much that his ex-girlfriend got shot, right of him but it’s worse.  A very bad man has thrown down the gauntlet and ALL the Rock Chicks are in the firing line.  Stella doesn’t want Mace to be the one to keep her alive but she has no choice…mainly because Mace isn’t giving her one.


What I Love About This Book
                For some reason Stella and Mace’s story drew me in almost more than any other story in this series.  I don’t know what it is about these two but I just couldn't get enough of them.  The chemistry between these two was hot and sexy that even from the one scene in Rock Chick Revenge (Rock Chick, #5) they were in together you could feel how much they cared about each other.  I couldn't wait to get to this book since reading Rock Chick Revenge where you learn that Stella and Mace had once been together but weren't anymore. 

                I also think that since there was a past where Mace walked away from Stella, I was able to really get attached to Stella in a way that I hadn't with the other rock chicks.  For once there was an actual reason for a rock chick to be mad and distrust one of the hot bunch guys because he’d actually broken her heart and trust.  It made Stella a lot less annoying to me, and I felt like her constant denial of the love she still felt for Mace kind of ended sooner which also made her less annoying.

                Mace’s story also was way more compelling and emotionally driven than the other hot bunch guys and it made me as a reader more sucked in to his happiness.  I couldn't wait to get to a scene where Mace and Stella were in it, and every time they were together I had a stupid smile on my face while reading.  Knowing what Mace went through and seeing his father and mother in the present really were just heart wrenching.  Mace’s past is way more violent and then any of other leading males in the books and it just sucked you into his roller coaster that is his life.  There were so many times in the book that I was near tears because of him and I loved every minute of it.


Cons
               
               Okay I know this is going to sound weird for a Kristen Ashley book and I may be losing my mind but I couldn't find a detailed description of Stella’s looks at all.  There were tons of details of her clothes and her long hair and what she liked and didn't like and all that good stuff.  But I couldn't find a description of what color her eyes were, how tall she was, nothing.   I might have missed it but I did a search on kindle for certain works but I couldn't find anything pertaining to the way she looked.  All I found was that she had long brown hair and that’s about it.  Which like I said is weird because usually in Kristen Ashley books right up front you get a detailed description of the how the main characters look and I didn't get that in this book.  Which kind of disappointed me, but like I said before maybe I missed it.

                This book kind of wandered out of the standard mold that the Rock Chick books fit in, and I appreciate it but at the same time still very much stayed the same as the rest of the books.  There was definitely tons of action in this book and more violent than the others at times but for once I would love to read one of these books where it’s the female character trying to kick the male character out of her life while chaos goes on around her.


Overall
            
           I love that this book switched it up with the point of views, not just going between Stella and Mace but incorporating the other rock chicks as well, it makes you kind of miss their story but be reminded that they are still around and happy.  This was the first one in this series with an epilogue and what an epilogue it was!  It takes place 5 years after Rock Chick Reckoning ends so you get not just what Mace and Stella’s future looks like but all of the people in the books as well. 

                So much happened in this book, and not just the usual chaos in every Rock Chick book that was going on around Stella and Mace, although there was plenty of that too.  There was a bunch of really romantic scenes between the other rock chicks and their hot bunch counter parts.  Lee and Indy have probably the most romantic scene in this book I have ever read in this series, and I was crying some happy tears for them.  The ending of the book before the epilogue was a definite downer compared the other Rock Chick books but it was bitter sweet and kept the action going to the very end.  I really appreciated that for once it wasn't the Rock Chick that was bringing the chaos to the Hot Bunch; it was the Hot Bunch bringing the chaos to the Rock Chicks.  It broke away from the series that way and it made Stella a lot less annoying than the other girls and because of that I was able to get more emotionally attached to her than the others.  Mace is definitely one of my favorite when it comes to the Hot Bunch, he’s tied with Luke for now but we will see by the time I’m done with this series.  It was cute to add the element of these Rock Chick stories to the press and the mystery of just who is doing it and how this lead to the person creating a great series called Rock Chicks.  I hope I get to see more of this because I got emotional just reading that part of the book, and of course got emotional during several other scenes as well.  LOVED IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment