Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Laura’s Review of Return to Poughkeepsie (Poughkeepsie, #2) by Debra Anastasia


If you love Unattainable by Madeline Sheehan, Truth by Aleatha Romig, and Cautious by E.L. Montes then you will LOVE this book!!!


Basic Summary

Beckett Taylor is a murder.  His calling, his craft are destruction and intimidation—whether he wants it that way now or not.  He left Poughkeepsie to keep his brothers safe, to keep Eve safe.  Set up with happy lives to live, they’re better off without him, right?

            But his willpower crumbles when he hears his brother Blake’s frantic voice on the phone.  An unknown enemy has moved in on his old territory, and Livia’s been taken.  In an instant, Beckett knows it will take an attack only he and Even can execute to being her back.  All his self-imposed embargoes are torn to shreds, perhaps along with the new man he’s struggled to become.

            “Brother, call Eve.  I’ll be there soon.”

            In this emotional and action-packed sequel to Poughkeepsie, Debra Anastasia conjures a tale of love at its most raw and ragged.  With Beckett and Eve, how could we expect anything less?  But even when it’s messy, not magical, true love perseveres.  Real love finds a way –for better or for worse until death does part.


What I Love About This Book
                
           
           Well with a summary like that how I could not love this book?  Beckett Taylor was a definitely a character that stood out to me in the first book, and I literally couldn't wait to get more of his POV and boy did I get what I wanted!!!

            First off it is so great to see Blake and Livia’s happily ever after.  I couldn't ask for a better future for the both of them and they just totally deserved it.  You can see that with every single day they thank god for the air in their lungs and the love in their hearts because their pasts could’ve lead them in so many other directions.  When Blake was shot in the first book I was crying, my heart was pounding, and I just NEEDED him to survive.  So it’s so wonderful to see his life what is now with Livia versus what it used to be. 

            Beckett’s personality leaps from the book into your hear from the very first word.  I can’t get enough of him, and it’s so great to see his redeemable qualities come through so fiercely.  He wants to be worthy so badly for Eve and his brothers you can almost taste his desperation.  I love that he’s almost become a guardian angel for the outcasts of society, and gives people chances that otherwise would've been ignored or cast out.  He definitely taught me that you can’t judge a book by its cover; you can’t judge people by their past mistakes because in the future they might really surprise you.  I love that Debra Anastasia doesn't just tell you a love story but teaches you a lesson as well. 

            I love that we get more Eve in this book as well; I really missed this character and was so happy to finally learn more about her talents, her life, and just how amazing she truly is.  It’s pretty cool to see how she works a job, and from that it was so obvious how perfect she is for Beckett.  They both had moments where they had to remind themselves not to kill the person standing in front of them, even if their hands were twitching to do it.  Eve is to me is the only one worthy enough to put up with Beckett and be his equal in every way.  I just wish Beckett would've seen earlier on that she accepted him for who he was, instead of him battling to become worthy of her love.  I couldn't wait for them to get back together again and at a certain point I wanted to scream for them to be together again!!!! 


Cons

                Like the first book in this series I don’t really have any cons.  I will say in the beginning of this book I was little confused about who the Vitullos were, especially Mary Ellen and what her ultimate goals were when it came to Poughkeepsie, and Sevan Harmon and all this fighting over territory that hadn't been controlled in over five years.  To me taking over a city that has no underground king shouldn't be too difficult and bloody but what do I know.  As I kept on reading all the pieces of puzzle started coming together, so if you are confused in the beginning just keep reading and fall deeper in love with Poughkeepsie. 



Overall

               
   
           This was a great book, there were certain points that I just couldn't put this book down.  Seriously one night I started reading and the next thing I knew it was 3 in the morning!  There were some happily ever afters in this book and some open ended story lines that I’m sure continue on to book three.  I really liked that there was some wrapping up of stories from book one, making it easier to move onto other plots especially when it comes to Beckett and his past legal issues.  I truly believe Beckett and Eve are soul mates and I pray for their happily ever after.  I won’t say if they got that at the end of this book, that’s for you to find out on your own.  But I will say from the sneak peek in book three that my heart is pounding and I can’t wait to see how this is going to all play out.  It was great to see the results of Blake and Livia’s love and how their normal everyday life is now for them, and what kind of family they have created together.  The banter between Kyle and Livia is as always, hilarious and the words that fly out their mouths when they get together are disgustingly genius and I love it!  I also loved the scenes that the three brothers were together, and it made me crave more of them so I’m hoping in the next book I will get more of that.  I can’t wait to see more into the future of all these character’s lives and the sneak peek of book three had my heart pounding!! Can’t wait for that book!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for reading. You're the best. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for commenting I really appreciate it!! I'm so happy right now!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete