Saturday, November 7, 2015

Laura’s Review of Kick (Savage Saints MC, #1) by Carmen Jenner




Synopsis
When I was ten, my father indoctrinated me into the family.

A brotherhood who would fight, protect, and give their lives for one another. A club whose ties ran thicker than blood, murkier than the dirt and grime that tainted my soul. Stronger than the bonds that connected me to my own family.

A band of brothers, where loyalty was kept and paid in a currency of blood.


When I was twenty-seven, I betrayed that brotherhood.


I’ve spent every day since running, avoiding paying back that debt.

My name is Daniel Johnson. I have betrayed everyone I ever loved. And I’ll betray her too.

This is my story—if you’re screwed up enough to want to read it.

Warning: KICK contains graphic violence, profanity, drug use, and explicit sexual situations of a taboo nature. Intended for an 18+ audience only. Not intended for pussies.

What I Loved
          I’m a sucker for dark messed up romances and Kick definitely filled that weird strange fascination for me.  Kick/Daniel has accepted the dreary circumstances of his life.  He’s grown up in the life of an MC, dark rough and vicious but ultimately filled with loyalty and brotherhood.  Unfortunately the first time around Daniel never had that part and went on the run only to find solace in another MC.  Daniel has settled for just existing each day, going through life with no emotional attachments. Once he sets his sites on Indie, a damsel in distress he can’t help but to want save her from certain death and help put her life back together. 

I loved the character of Kick/Daniel because he couldn’t help but to want to fix this poor girl who is resistant to everything he does, and to his very lifestyle.  I also loved that he was rough around the edge because as you start to fall in love with him you’re constantly reminded what he’s truly capable of.  Which made it all the more sweeter when you go behind those walls he’s built and lets Indie see what he can offer her, which is a true partnership and love.

          The circumstances in which we meet Indie haunted me throughout the entire book probably as much as they haunted Indie.  It’s so hard to wrap your head around the atrocities that she went through for weeks and I loved how the author conveyed the depth of her despair and messed up life.  Also, I love how Indie rose from the ashes of being beaten, raped and tortured wanting to face her captors and get her revenge.  She is one tough broad and couldn’t wait to see her in action.   
Not So Much

          This had a great plot and a very unique way to tell the story, but I felt like as the reader I was kind of dropped into the middle of the story with not a lot of organization.  I liked that the story switched from past to present but I still felt like I was missing something and had to figure out what was going on.  The foundation just wasn’t there at all for the plot to build on in the beginning and because of that the overall arc felt unorganized at times.  

          I really can’t stand when books basically repeat the same sentence over and over again and that happened a lot in this story.  There are only so many times can I hear “I’m a biker, so I’m dangerous and mean”.  People who are actually bikers don’t have to say over and over again I’m a biker, so that means I will kill you.  It comes off robotic and not grounded at all, I wanted this story to feel more organic and I didn’t get that.

To Sum It All Up!
          Overall this was a very dark plot filled with blood, sex and suspense.  Kick was able to rescue Indie from being tortured and raped but that didn’t mean she was safe living with an MC who had no qualms about killing her.  I loved how Kick had a weakness for broken women and I really liked that we not only got to see what Kick is like now but what caused all this darkness and pain as well. 

There was definitely a lot of twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat and I loved that part.  Also, I loved how strong willed Indie was and how at the end she was the one that got to make the choices for her future not Kick.  I did find the plot to be unique and compelling but I wished the writing was a little better.  This story was very dark at times so if you’re not a fan of blood and abuse then this is not the story for you.  This is my first Carmen Jenner book I’ve ever read and I’m definitely intrigued to see what comes next in this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment