Saturday, May 16, 2015

Laura’s Review of The Will (Magdalene, #1) by Kristen Ashley



Synopsis
Early in her life, Josephine Malone learned the hard way that there was only one person she could love and trust: her grandmother, Lydia Malone. Out of necessity, unconsciously and very successfully, Josephine donned a disguise to keep all others at bay. She led a globetrotting lifestyle on the fringes of the fashion and music elite, but she kept herself distant.

While Josephine was trotting the globe, retired boxer Jake Spear was living in the same small town as Lydia. There was nothing disguised about Jake. Including the fact he made a habit of making very bad decisions about who to give his love.

But for Josephine and Jake, there was one person who adored them. One person who knew how to lead them to happiness. And one person who was intent on doing it.

Even if she had to do it as her final wish on this earth.

What I Loved
          This story had all the makings of an amazing heart felt Kristen Ashley story and to me, it totally delivered.  I have always loved Kristen Ashley stories because she just seems to understand what will reach out and grab a reader’s heart and from the very beginning of this story, the character of Lydia does just that.  Lydia thought she figured out how she could be content with her life, only to be thrown for a loop after her grandmother’s funeral.  It was so wonderful to watch Lydia pick up the pieces of her life and then eventually find her own happiness. 

          I think what I loved most about this story is the overall message; finding your happiness and not settling.  No one should ever settle for contentment, they should try and reach out to grab their happiness no matter what it may be. 

Also, I loved the way Lydia talked, it was funny watching her interact with Jake’s children and then to see her old fashioned vocabulary rub off onto them.  As much as I liked Lydia though, I’ve got say the hot alpha male that is Jake Spear was even better.  Seriously, when it comes to Jake Spear what isn’t there to love?  He’s a fierce fighter, a fierce father and of course a fierce lover.  The attraction between Jake and Lydia was immediate and it was so much fun to watch them get to know each other and then eventually fall in love with each other. 


Not So Much
          This was such a gripping heartfelt story so there isn’t much I didn’t love.  My biggest complaint would be that at times I felt like their inner monologues were long winded and became kind of boring.  I just wished during some scenes they would kind of just get to the point and at times I felt like it weighed the plot down rather than moving it along.

          I love Kristen Ashley books, each story is so amazing; sometimes bitter sweet, sometimes just bitter and pretty much always sweet.  But each book no matter the series all kind of follows the same story line.  Hot alpha male falls for a woman who is denial of her feelings for said male but then eventually sees the light and they live happily ever after.  Of course there are some pretty hot sex scenes, sad scenes, mystery and action thrown into mix, but overall the same.  I love these books and I love this author but bigger picture wise I would like to see more variation.



To Sum It All Up!
       
          This was such an amazing book, there is nothing not to love about Jake and Lydia’s story.  The details were so amazing that at time I felt like Lavender House was the third main character in the story rather than just some background the characters lived in.  Kristen Ashley always knows how to paint a picture of beauty not only with the plot but the characters and background as well.  Lydia was such a great female lead and I admire her more than I would most female leads.  Not only is Jake one hot father, but he is an even hotter boxer which made this book very enjoyable at times.  I definitely had tears in my eyes at certain points and a stupid smile at others.  The Will is one hell of a roller coaster then I just didn’t want to get off of!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment