Thursday, November 6, 2014

Laura’s Review of Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7) by Darynda Jones



Synopsis
            Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there’s that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she’s ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that has authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancé who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life.

           A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it.

          We’re doomed.


What I Loved
            Charley’s back!  I was so happy to crawl back into Charley’s world and see what crazy crap she is up to.  Once again Charley is causing some trouble, solving some mysteries and making us laugh and cry along the way.  The seventh installment of this series, throws the reader into the mist of chaos as Charley and her friends try to unlock the mysteries that are Charley Davidson, while trying not to get killed by humans or supernatural entities. 

            We don’t walk away with knowing too much more about the hellhounds that have been sent to earth to find and kill Charley, but we finally get really see just how strong she is.  It was so wonderful to watch Charley start to realize her own power and once again see all the cool things she can do, especially when it comes to Reyes.  There is one hot scene that involves her magnificent powers and a one very sexy Reyes reaping the benefits of it.  I can’t say enough of how much I love Charley Davidson and each book I read with her in it, I love her more and more!


Not So Much
            There really isn’t anything negative to say about this one, I really loved it because it was a true roller coaster of laughter, suspense and sorrow.  I guess my only complaint is that there is just so much going on in every single book and I wish there was more focus on finding out about all these prophecies and hellhounds and whatever else Charley needs to learn to fight all these evil entities.  I get she’s a private detective and that’s her thing but I would like more emphasis put on the supernatural.  I will say though that this book definitely explored that side of Charley more than any other book in this series has.

To Sum It All Up!
        
         Wow, I don’t even know where to begin!  This book was freaking awesome, I was cracking up at times while tearing up at others.  So much happens in Charley’s life and we definitely get to a real turning point when it comes to Charley’s powers.  Also we get a ton Reyes and even though he isn’t as mysterious as he once was, actually getting to know him and watch him settle into this life with Charley is awesome.  Charley is definitely up to her old tricks again in this one, and we get tons of her smart mouth and “witty” personality.  The end of this one will definitely throw you for a loop, it had me crying happy tears then sad tears, and then sitting on the edge my seat.  I love that at the end of this one and the last (I think) we get a little bit from Reyes’ point of view and whoa did he drop a bomb!  I cannot wait to see what happens next with these two!

No comments:

Post a Comment