Monday, October 6, 2014

Laura’s Review of Consumed (Consumed, #1) by Skyla Madi




If you have read and enjoyed Storm (Storm MC, #1)  by Nina Levine, Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful,#1) by Jamie McGuire, and Real (Real, #1) by Katy Evans then you will LOVE this book!
Synopsis
Olivia James has never been one to walk on the wild side, at least not until she meets Seth Marc—a cocky, sexy fighter at her father’s gym. He’s infuriating, nauseatingly addictive and she just can’t seem to shake him. He’s only been in town a short while and his name is already on everyone’s lips. He's the kind of guy moms’ warn their daughters about—the kind that leaves a trail of shattered hearts behind him and he has Olivia in his sights.

Olivia has never met anyone as confusing as Seth and his hot and cold attitude constantly sends her reeling. She’s never wanted anyone’s touch so badly in her life, but having recently come out of a long term relationship diving into another is something she'd prefer to avoid.

Determined for his touch, but not to let him under her skin, Olivia embarks on the most thrilling ride of her life.


What I Loved
         
            I really liked the character of Olivia, and of course I am totally in love with Seth Marc.  I wish someone that hot was an MMA fighter; I might actually be more interested in the octagon if they all looked like Seth.  I’m a total sucker for fighters, I don’t know what it is about them that draw me in so much, but it always instantly hooks me.  This story definitely did not disappoint in this category, not only is Seth hot and amazing in bed, he kick ass!  I mean, who wouldn’t love that? 

            This book definitely kept me on my toes, and at times totally surprised me which I loved because I can’t stand it when stories are too predictable.  There were a lot of twists and turns when it came to Olivia and Seth’s relationship and the chemistry between them was nothing less than boiling.  At certain point I just wanted them to rip each other’s clothes off and go at it!

Not So Much
        This was a great story and a wonderful start to a new series, I really enjoyed Olivia and Seth as main characters and can’t wait to see where life takes them; saying that I did have some issues with the book.  To me, the sentence structures were a little too fragmented, and at time I felt like the story was being talked at me rather than me being a part of it.  I think Olivia’s life was laid out nicely and the same goes for Seth, but as far as the secondary characters like Selena and Jackson, you get drips of their lives but a solid foundation and lots of details were left out.  It made it hard for me to even like these characters because I knew very little about them. 
 

            Also it’s a HUGE pet peeve of mine when authors from other countries write books that take place in America but don’t use the right wording, or expressions.  American’s don’t go on holiday, they go on vacation, we don’t toasties, we each sandwiches.  It took me out of the story because this happened a lot throughout this book and it started to annoy me.  The same can be said for the area the book took place in, I would’ve loved to have seen the culture of Portland, Maine or at least New England reflected in the plot.  At a certain point they travel to Boston and no big landmarks are mentioned, or what living in this part of America is truly like.  At times I actually felt like the way these characters talked and dressed and acted were in contrast to what life is like in Maine.  I have no problem when people write things that aren’t where they are from, but if you’re going to do that you have to do the research and really show you understand that particular lifestyle.   

This Book Was

            Pretty good!  Like I said before, I love fighter books and I totally Set Marc’s number one fan.  He is one hot sexy man who you know stands up for what he believes and takes shit from no one.  I really like the character of Olivia as well, she finally stood up for what she wanted and made the right decisions about her life.  I love how supportive she wasn’t just of Seth but of her best friend Selena and her family.  I just wish this story had lots more details, and laid out a better foundation for the character development to build from.  If the book was written with more American colloquialisms to make me believe this took place in America, and just more detail describing the environment and culture around them.  Great story, just need some smoothing around the edges and definite tweaks and it would’ve been the perfect story.

No comments:

Post a Comment