Friday, May 2, 2014

Laura’s Review of Phenomenal X (Hard Knocks, #1) by Michelle A. Valentine


If you have read and enjoyed Fighting to Forget (Fighting, #3) by J.B. Salsbury, Real (Real, #1) by Katy Evans, and Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love, #1) by Gina L. Maxwell then you are going to LOVE this book!!!

Basic Summary
                Good Girl.  Notorious Bad-Boy.  One Phenomenal Love.

            From the mean streets of Detroit rises the newest superstar of professional wrestling, Xavier Cold, better known as Phenomenal X.  His muscular physique makes men cower before him and women lose their minds with desire.

            Anna Cortez is fresh out of college and naïve to the harsh realities of the real world.  Tired of living under the thumb of her conservative family, she defies them when she accepts a job as the assistant to wrestling’s most notorious bad-boy.  Phenomenal X has an animalistic nature that even good girl Anna finds hard to resist

            One night forced to share a bed in a sold-out hotel, lines blur between them and they quickly learn that one lustful night changes everything and neither one of them will ever be the same.


Buy Phenomenal X here

First Impressions
                I like that Anna’s story is immediately laid out, so you can quickly understand her state of mind and what drove her leaving Portland.  She’s decided to flee the sheltered life that her father completely controlled in Portland, to Detroit to live with her cousin Quinn and Aunt Dee.  You immediately feel her angst of leaving all she knows to heading straight towards an uncertain future.  Also almost immediately you meet Xavier and his sexiness oozes from the pages.  Not only is he one hot man, he’s kind and considerate when it comes to his fans and eventually to Anna.  He is totally her knight in shining armor right of the bat and I can’t wait to see them get down and dirty.




What I Loved
                I really loved that Anna stood up to her father and decided to leave all everyday comforts to live in Detroit, Michigan and start a new life.  She is a very brave woman and I commend anyone who would leave familiarity for the unknown. 

            I love the chemistry between Xavier and Anna, because it is SMOKING HOT!  There are some pretty phenomenal sex scenes between the two of them and I could not get enough.  I love how he talks dirty to her as well, it just adds to Xavier’s hot factor.  Another element that makes Xavier so irresistible is that he is able to swoop in and save Anna whenever she needs it.  His devotion to their relationship is awesome and I want someone exactly like him right now in my bed!!!


Not So Much
          As much as I enjoyed reading this book, the writing to me seemed a little elementary.  Several times in the book Anna is referred to as the sweet girl, and I get we’re trying to drive that message home but there are so many more ways to describe someone who is innocent and optimistic about life, rather than just sweet and none of that was used.  The conversations to me were a stunted and robotic, with not a lot of detail.  I felt like the conversations didn't represent how real people talk and interact with each other on a constant basis. 
   
            Also the details in this book were definitely lacking.  I have no clue what Aunt Dee looks like, or what her house is like.  There’s no description of even Quinn’s room let alone where Detroit they are living.  At one point it’s dropped in the book that Anna is sleeping on an air mattress, so does that mean they are living in a two bedroom condo, or very small house?  Also there are very little details about Anna’s family as far as her mother or brother; for a while I thought Anna’s mother was dead.  The foundation for the plot of this story was just not thick enough; I would've liked more background details.



This Book Was
                Pretty good!  I really liked the basic plot and the love story in this book.  I like that we not only get to see and hear about Anna’s past, we get a great descriptions of Xavier’s past as well.  My heart just immediately went out to Xavier when read about the horrors of his childhood, it just breaks your heart when child abuse is involved. Xavier is a famous wrestler in this book, but unlike many of the other fighting books Xavier is more of a WWF wrestler not an UFC fighter, which I didn't really like.  I love actual rough cage fighters, not ones that have storylines and choreographed fights where the winner is already determined.    I have enjoyed Michelle A. Valentine’s other series, Black Falcon a lot and I definitely can’t wait for the next one in this series to arrive.  I will warn you though there is a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of this one, so if you don’t like cliff hangers then wait till the next book comes out to read this one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment