Monday, March 31, 2014

Laura’s Review of Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones


If you have read and enjoyed Checkmate (Neighbor From Hell, #3) by R.L. Mathewson, Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie , and Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) by Janet Evanovich then you will LOVE this book!!


Basic Summary
             Welcome to the world of grim reaper extraordinaire Charley Davidison.  Try as she might, there’s no avoiding her destiny.

            Sometimes being the grim reaper really is, well, grim.  And since Charley’s last case went to awry, she has taken a couple of months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity.  But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above…or at least get dressed.  It becomes clear something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she’s insane.  But the more they refute the woman’s story, the more Charley believes it.

            In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, is out of prison and out of Charley’s life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats.  But his absence has put a serious crimp her sex life.  While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away.  Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved.

            Just when life was returning to normal, Charley is thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans in this hilarious fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling series.



What I Loved
                Wow! I don’t even know where to begin because there so many awesome things about this book.  So far this is definitely my favorite in this series.  I was hysterically laughing at times, and tearing up at others.  Usually this series has me cracking up but I've never wanted to cry before until this book!  So amazing!!!

            First of all the book takes place two months after the Third Grade Dead Ahead, after Charley had been tortured and sliced open several times by a sadist killer, her father trying to have her arrested, and realizing Reyes didn't trust her enough to tell her his plan.  This book opened with Charley clearly suffering from PTSD and that to me was kind of cool because in every other book she was so resilient and quirky but this book really brought her back down to my level.  I didn't pity her or feel bad for her but it made it easier to relate to her as a reader.  To know that at the end of the day she does have feelings and sometimes reacts like normal human beings react; sometimes. 

            The book then progresses onto Charley and Reyes finally have actual reactions as two humans, no more of this incorporeal crap, although he does don his black robe a couple times throughout the story.  Since the beautiful Reyes Farrow is out of jail, we all know what this means, SEX!!! We finally get what we have all been waiting for which is hot sex with Reyes!  Also Charley catches him at a weak moment and he starts to answer some of Charley’s questions about who he is, who she is and what this all means for humankind.  We also get to experience Charley’s powers which become infinitely cooler in this book at one point my jaw was on the floor because what she did was pretty freaking cool. 


Not So Much…
                I guess my only negative at this point would be that I’m kind of tired of all the mysteriousness about what Charley can do and why Reyes is really here.  I don’t doubt his love for Charley and I suspect he was sent here to seduce here then killer her so his father can get into heaven and that’s all good but enough with the alluding to this.  I can only be held captive by all these half-truths, not really answers, beating around the bush crap.   She either needs to figure out already and become the truly powerful being she is or Reyes just needs to sit down with her teach and explain to her what the hell is going on. 

            Also we get to meet more demons in this book; we even get to meet a very powerful demon that grew with Reyes in hell.  That’s great and all but I’m sick of meeting these evil entities and we really haven’t meant anyone from heaven other than Charley.  Reyes has all these evil spirits to deal with and they are trying to kill Charley and now she has Artemis her guardian but I want meet some angels!  If hell can send powerful beings to fight Reyes why can’t heaven send some power beings themselves and help out the fight.  We learn that Charley has a celestial family; well I’m ready to see some of this family!




This Book Was...…
             Legen (wait for it) dary!!!!  This book had so much going on it was awesome.  I feel like this book dealt more with Charley’s personal life than any other books.  She did have a case she was working on that actually ended being kind of heartbreaking at the end and had me tearing up a little.  Charley definitely takes a personal hit when she finally comes face to face with her father who she has ignored for two months.  I loved that finally she stood up to him and called him on always taking her stepmother’s side instead of Charley’s and laid it all out there for him.  Literally when she was screaming at him I felt like I was right there with her yelling at him because he totally deserved it. 

            Although there was definitely hot sex therapy with Reyes and trust me that was awesome, the scene did not end the way I wanted it to, but that’s okay.  There are times when I want to hit Charley on the head and drag her to the courthouse to marry Reyes and have his babies tomorrow!  But she is a stronger female then I am because although I understand her motives I don’t think I would have the strength to carry through with them.  This book was filled with lots of funny antics that always seem to follow Charley around but was also filled with a lot of heart felt moments.  Along with lots of pretty close calls as far as danger to Charley’s life and a battle between demons that I was almost too scared to read.  With all of that the book ended me letting out a little giggle because there is a little bit of a surprise left for you at the end.  Can’t wait to read the next book!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment