Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Laura’s Review of Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood #8) by J.R. Ward



Basic Summary:  John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him.  After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was or his true identity.  Indeed, the fall Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny.  As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

                Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew.  Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall pretty to the darkness of her twisted life.  When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.





What I Love About This Book:  FINALLY!!!!! I couldn’t wait to get to John Matthew’s book, I feel like out of all the characters in this series I know him the best because as reader you are with him for so many important phases of his life.  Right away his vulnerability is an obvious one because he was born with no voice box and it makes me love him even more.  You meet John Matthew in book two and you follow him from a defenseless scared boy to a strong, confident man, and finally his story has come to fruition and it’s awesome.  He is such a lovable character and a person you can become attached to so easily.  When he was in mourning over losing Wellsie I was mourning for him, when Xhex broke his heart, my heart broke for him.  It’s so great for John Matthew to finally become a man, a warrior, and get his happily ever after. 

                I love the Darius, John Matthew connection as well, because you not only get John Matthew’s story in this book you get a part of Darius’ as well and on top of that getting a better background on Tohrment. The chapters that go back to the past, bring home just how close Darius and Tohrment were, and what kind of a man Darius truly was.  The chapters also explain Xhex’s past as well and tie her not only to John Matthew but to Tohrment and Darius as well.  You finally get to find out how Darius and Tohrment met, and why Darius decided to build such a beautiful and sustainable mansion that the Brotherhood lives in presently.  I love the richness of this book, the connection between the characters is so front and center in this book and just reiterates the connection the Brothers have with each other, and how rich their tradition and history is.  

                There a couple surprises at the end of this book, which I love that after reading so many books in this series things can still surprise me.  I was resigned that the chapters dealing with humans and a “ghost” were just beginning to describe a storyline that would continue on into the other books, I had no clue of the connection it had to Xhex and her past.  The ending was really great and I was happy to read about another mating ceremony since the last detailed one was from book one.


Cons: I kind of wish this book had kind of followed the last one and have maybe another couple from previous books POV in this one.  Mary was one that John Matthew became friends with and trusted when he was a boy, and not once is their relationship mentioned in this book.  Ever since Mary and Rhage’s story you don’t get a lot of information about Mary after that and she has had no lines in so many of these books.  I would’ve liked to have seen more Mary in this book, and Beth as well since that is supposed to be John’s sister.  I would’ve liked to have more of the past characters more involved in this book in general. 




Overall:  Great story, I cannot love John Matthew more than I already do.  He truly is one of my favorite characters in this series and from the very beginning you are team John Matthew and you root for him every step of the way.  I love that Qhuinn and Blay’s storyline is coming to fruition and Qhuinn is finally get a taste of own medicine.  It was ironic to me to read about such a strong character like Qhuinn who doesn’t seem to care what people think about him, but won’t come out of the closet because of old stereotypes and traditions.  It gives depth to his character, and just how torn up inside he really feels about himself and his life.  I love that Xhex and John Matthew finally finished the Lash storyline it was time for him to go and it was a great ending to all that!  LOVED IT!!!  The sex scenes in this book are freaking awesome, probably the best in this series because I feel like the last couple books in this series were lacking in this category.  Lassiter to me is one of my favorite characters only because he is hilarious and adds a comic relief to the story by literally making you laugh out loud.  John Matthew is a such a great character, there is nothing I don’t love about him and I couldn’t wait to get to this book and finally have him be happy and fulfilled in the end because out of all the characters in this series he deserves it the most.  

No comments:

Post a Comment