Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lauren's Review of Unteachable by Leah Raeder


Summary: I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn’t want to be abandoned again. But I couldn’t run far enough.I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke. My teacher. I don’t know if what we’re doing is wrong. The rules say one thing; my heart says screw the rules. I can’t let him lose his job. And I can’t lose him.  In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. And I move on. But this is life, and there’s no script. You make it up as you go along. And you don’t pray for a happy ending. You pray for it to never end.

What I loved: I'm a sucker for forbidden romance and something about a teacher/student affair. Something just gets the juices flowing when there is a possibility of getting caught. I immediately got right into this story. Raeder did an amazing job in creating the carnival setting and with Maise's internal monologue. It was so easy to fall in love with Maise and her personality. You can simpathize with where Maise has come from and admire her strength to move on from the life she has.  The sex scenes were hot but would have loved to have more.

Cons: While I was drawn to Maise, I had a hard time getting into  Evan. I kept wondering if there was more to him. Maybe it was the 15 year age difference. I really lost it when he admitted to having a previous affair with a student. To me, that just screamed pervert. It's one thing to fall in love with a younger girl once but to have it happen twice and oh yeah, by the way, I love you but I didn't love her. He just didn't do it for me.

Hot scenes: Toss up between the hot hotel sex and the don't get caught classroom fooling around.

Next Read: Driven, by K. Bromberg

1 comment:

  1. Haha!! I haven't read this yet but the GIF is hilarious!!! Awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete